found this in the oil..

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

found this in the oil..

Post by techfurby » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm

so after giving the bike a new cam chain and tensioner on first start up get a loud tapping sound over the engine idle..ran fine and held idle... so switched off and disconnected the left cylinder spark plug..bike ran awful but no tapping sound..
then decided to plug spark plug back in and start up..
a minute the bike ran perfect sounded great with the staintune pipes. all of a sudden get a rattle from motor.. its at engine speed. you throttle on it gets faster. so decided to pull exhaust off and sump and bang..find this copper looking shavings..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Ymln ... p=drivesdk

now the question is its clearly a bearing of some sort. any one else had this???
maybe anyone know of any spare motors or wrecking bikes in south australia.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: found this in the oil..

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 am

When you started the motor , did you find you had an oil feed to the top of the motor via the bleed bolt on the exhaust cam pushing oil out when running????
laughter is the best medicine

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:45 am

you mean like a hose not connected? everything seemed to be connected and no oil was leaking

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:30 am

and no oil out any of the breathers.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:14 am

The small bolt with a copper washer that screws into the head positioned on the Cylinder 1 end (LH end) of the exhaust cam oil galley.
This is used as an inspection opening to see you are getting oil pressure up to the head and cams.
When you first start the bike you can remove this bolt and should see a slow feed of oil running out of the bolt hole.
If it's an oil pressure issue that has caused this damage since dismantling to replace the cam chain, I'd start by looking to see if the oil pump is doing as it should.
laughter is the best medicine

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:51 am

ok cool thanks for advice..so i should in part put sump back on fill it up and see?? or just take it to mechanic and see what they say?

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:45 am

now what parts should I need to get this going again. sounds stupid I know but it shouldn't have damaged the top end at all should it? the bike runs nice and smooth just rattles.
I'm asking because 2 mechanics have said scrap the motor and get another..(can't find a second hand motor complete in south australia)
if I was to get either second hand crank or mine reground and balanced and new bearings thats all they are going to do? any other parts that would need to be done?
would it of damaged anything else internally?

Capau
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Capau » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:22 am

If there is a rattling sound, you should find this sound disassembling engine step by step. There is no other way to find out what you will need for repair.

You don't cure your teeth by phone, do you?

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 am

no i normally wait till they fall out and mince all my food

Capau
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Capau » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:02 am

:lol:

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 am

so today my uncle came around and we started looking at the bike. ran it afew times listening with a stethoscope. we cannot pin point the noise it's making. he listened to the bottom end and he said it was quiet running smoothly.the noise seems to be intermitient aswell. he said the bike is running smooth and seems healthy..but we can't work out where or what to look at to solve the proberlem.would like to rule out every Avenue before we split the case.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:40 am

Have you had the oil pump apart? It`s simple to do but if you do it and check the rotor n housing and find scoring it`s definitely time to split the motor.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 am

techfurby wrote:so today my uncle came around and we started looking at the bike. ran it afew times listening with a stethoscope. we cannot pin point the noise it's making. he listened to the bottom end and he said it was quiet running smoothly.the noise seems to be intermitient aswell. he said the bike is running smooth and seems healthy..but we can't work out where or what to look at to solve the proberlem.would like to rule out every Avenue before we split the case.
Think about something you've left loose in the whole tear down and fit up.
If it's intermittent.
Engine mount bolt rattling or so.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am

techfurby wrote:so after giving the bike a new cam chain and tensioner on first start up get a loud tapping sound over the engine idle..ran fine and held idle... so switched off and disconnected the left cylinder spark plug..bike ran awful but no tapping sound..
then decided to plug spark plug back in and start up..
a minute the bike ran perfect sounded great with the staintune pipes. all of a sudden get a rattle from motor.. its at engine speed. you throttle on it gets faster. so decided to pull exhaust off and sump and bang..find this copper looking shavings..

now the question is its clearly a bearing of some sort. any one else had this???
maybe anyone know of any spare motors or wrecking bikes in south australia.
Coupled to the debris found in the oil, it sounds like the start of a left side big end bearing failure. Removing the left plug lead removes the load from the bearing and silences the knock :cry:
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 am

quote for a new motor from nsw was $1100 delivered. but 87thou on the clock.
Last edited by techfurby on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.