found this in the oil..

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: found this in the oil..

Post by techfurby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 am

I got quoted $1500 in labour on bottom end rebuild. so looks like over winter motor out and rebuild in my own time. its definitely a bearing so bite the bullet and rebuild.thanks for all your help and thoughts. once started will do a new post about it and damage which has been done

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:43 am

question tho..why is it always left hand side bearing to fail first??

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 am

IT IS, why do you say that?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 pm

so an update. I have found a bike mechanic who is going to come around and help rebuild my motor for the trx. so In roughly 2 weeks the motor will be on the bench and split and I will start to order new parts. will kelp everyone informed on the rebuild and progress. wish me luck.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:36 am

If you so choose, there is no need to pull the rotor off the crank or the clutch basket from the main shaft.
You can work around these and still split the cases...
They can be a little stubborn if you don't have the correct pullers.
laughter is the best medicine

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:53 am

update.. bike is at my mates up on a hoist. we drained the oil and no gold flakes through it now. sump off and gonna inspect bearings through the week. pulled clutch cover off. and from off. the inner part has alot of play and when u spin it it makes a rattle and knock..now gotta buy a clutch puller or source something that will work.. that is the progress so far.. any ideas or is it possible to get clutch basket out with out a puller? I'm suspecting I need to buy a new one but there hard to find or source so might have to go the second hand route

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Use a coin or piece of aluminium to jam the primary drive teeth and the clutch centre nut can be released. The basket (should) just pulls off.

I had the clutch basket replaced under warranty on my TDM because it rattled. Possibly caused (emulsion tube wear) by "lugging" the engine at low revs rather than revving it.
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:36 pm

I used a clutch basket tool to hold the inner and outer components and easily sourced online from YAMBITS.. Spreads the load over all parts of the basket and was about $40 .
Looks like a steel clutch plate which locks the inner but it has outer tongues too like a fibre plate to lock the outer basket and a handle on it.
Once in place rotate till the handle sits against the bench and go for broke on the nut with a rattle gun or solid long handled socket wrench which from memory is tensioned to 120Nm...
laughter is the best medicine

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:10 am

clutch basket off. all examined and no damage all looks good. now the next step is to examine bearings and crank. ruling all different things out and checking everything so once this is solved and repaired will hopefully be trouble free riding. parts are hard to get in South aus. pitmans and peter Stevens are hopeless. so online looks the go.
hmmms need to find a radiator and tail in the future.