5th gear nastyness

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

5th gear nastyness

Post by wurlyvalve » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Hello all,

Now this one has me a little stumped. Last night I was riding home on the dual carriageway at a steady 90mph, then went to overtake a car - WOT got to 110 and all sorts of nastyness happened. How can I describe it.... like a horrid sound - could be missfire the revs and speed dropped backed down to 105 and I had no torque to accelerate. Hmm, yuk. A mile later after slowing down I accelerated back up from 60mph, again WOT, got to 85mph and the same thing happened.

Today I checked the chain and sprockets - not mint but hardly bin fodder. The speed at which all hell happens has dropped to 75mph. In third and fourth gears the bike will pull WOT all the way to the redline time after time. But 5th......?

It's a UK bike, not Japanese import. I think it's on its original clutch and done 63,00miles. Maybe it's the clutch? But it doesn't really feel like it, and the sound is nasty! Which clutches don't usually make.

My old Min's used to carb ice and do similar things. But I can't understand why 3rd and 4th runs don't exasperate the problem. She's cruising fine no other problems I can think of. There's a little mayo on the oil cap but I had put that down to 6mile commutes daily not getting the oil hot enough.

Ringing any bells? I'm most upset with her.

Cheers,
Glen.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Re: 5th gear nastyness

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:25 pm

If it's a skreeching, vibration then it's the clutch. Try selecting 4th or 5th gear with the front brake fully on/jammed on the kerb, give it a handful and try to pull away. The engine should stall, if the clutch slips/squawks then it's goosed
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:29 pm

OK, will do. Tomorrow though. The bite point is quite a way out. The revs don't seem to rise though but I confess it all happens a bit quickly and sounds and feels so horrid that I don't much like sustaining it. But the progressively slower speed that it happens would be indicative of clutch.

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33 am

check the cush drive?......
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:11 am

Winner winner chicken dinner! She went "squeely squeely screech shreek". So not identical to you pre-described slips/squawks but hopefully close enough ;)

Took about a second to stall and screeched loudly for that second. So I'd guess she needs a new clutch - bless her. I didn't like doing it to her though!

Cheers,
Glen.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 am

Sounds like you've got it. High gear/high speed/high wind pressure and the clutch cannae take it Capt'n.
Worth checking the cush drive and the 3 rear axle bearings as well though.
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white