Vibrations at hig revs

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Re: Vibrations at hig revs

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:36 am

Difficult to tell from these video clips, sound quality not great.
Is your noise/vibration there with the clutch pulled in?
Clutch basket bearings can rumble
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Satoru
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Satoru » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:28 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Difficult to tell from these video clips, sound quality not great.
Is your noise/vibration there with the clutch pulled in?
Clutch basket bearings can rumble
If there it is no resistance the engine sounds normal: constant speed (slightly downhill) with the clutch engaged or revving with pulled clutch make the engine sound and vibrate "normal".

I had a pair of new spark plugs hanging around and swapped them in because the old ones were almost at the end of the allowed gap thickness.
It goes without saying that this, like the air filter cleaning, did not change anything :)

Anyone knows for sure the direction of the oil in the filter? It is outside in or from inside to outside?
I emptied the oil for the change yesterday and I don't see visible metallic particles on the outside of the filtering element.
Sooo happy moving from Carbon Lorraine A3+ to SBSRS on my gold spots!

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:30 am

Check your engine mounting bolts again, especially the 2 (one on either side) that are Allen Head type bolts that are situated where the frame triangulates.

Satoru
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Satoru » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:06 pm

ekoja wrote:Check your engine mounting bolts again, especially the 2 (one on either side) that are Allen Head type bolts that are situated where the frame triangulates.
It took me a while to come back to you because to do the torque check I needed a too I was missing the needed unusual (long) allen bit for the wrench.
The right allen bolt was fairly loose, about a full turn or so.

The weather here is not rider-friendly at the moment (here after the sunset it goes quickly to -2C and then lower) so I had no way to test it yet.
Anyway you already deserve a big thankyou with more to come if it is back to the old glory with no engine disassembly :)

[edit] I had a short and very cold ride yesterday and vibration seems greatly improved.

This led me to the bad idea of checking also the other mounting points and I'm finding something strange:
the rear mounting point in the Haynes manual are indicated at 75Nm but even at 50Nm the two nuts on the right side are rotating quite a bit.
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it is possible that they were not set to the right torque.
Anyone can post a couple of picture so that I do understand how much the nut should go deep?
In the past the lower bolt of the rear show died on me (lost the thread) and I'd rather avoid doing something dangerous.

TIA
Sooo happy moving from Carbon Lorraine A3+ to SBSRS on my gold spots!