Removing upper oil catch tank easily?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jpe
Site Sponsor

Removing upper oil catch tank easily?

Post by jpe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:43 pm

Without removing engine from frame or dismantling cylinders, does anyone know if it's possible to remove the upper part of the oil tank?

It looks like a tight fit squeezing it up backwards through the frame and I don't wanna start removing bolts just to find out later I'll have to drop the engine...

After nearly 60 thou km's I thought it would be a good idea to do some cleaning in there :roll:
"There is no spoon"

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 pm

I am not sure, I know I took mine out forward, and it wasn't much room left. I doubt that You can, but I'll go to the garage some time this week, and will give You a more qualified guess after that.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:13 am

I'm not sure either, but I doubt it. Even removing the bolts I seem to remember a couple dowel pins in there. Did you check the manual?
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

jpe
Site Sponsor

Post by jpe » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:06 am

Max wrote:I'm not sure either, but I doubt it. Even removing the bolts I seem to remember a couple dowel pins in there. Did you check the manual?
Sure did, it says "remove the fekkin engine" :roll:

However, I don't always trust Mr Yamaha on these mechanical matters. But since you're sceptic, HansJ's a sceptic and frankly me too it looks like the frame's coming off.

Sigh...
"There is no spoon"

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:17 am

If You're in for an internal clean-up, I'd recommend taking away the sump pick-up filter as well. I had some interesting pieces of un-known origin sitting in there... Be advised though, to get at it You'll need to take away the sump, and the bolts that are holding the pick-up assembly are Philips (or Pozi), so You're likely to destroy them. (Loctite!) I destroyed two of mine in the removal process. I can give You the dimensions once I've bought new ones, better to be prepared for the worst case...
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***