Neutral light not working

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

guysie99
TRX-Enthusiast

Neutral light not working

Post by guysie99 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 am

Recently my trx was stolen but recovered. http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 74#p109574 Only damage was slashed ignition key cables and the neutral light wasn't comming on, thus stopping ignition with side stand down despite being in neutral. Has turned onto a super puzzle. Pulled the whole thing apart, removed front sprocket and cover. Traced problem back to neutral switch but the switch is fine. The copper connector on the spring is fine but the shaft thing these are seated in had no earth! Cleaned everything up and put it together but still no earth from the shaft thing. I gave up at that point as to go further would be dismantling the gearbox! Has anyone come across this before? Is there anything else I can check?
From all my reading of the wiring diagram the neutral switch connect a wire to earth, but from what I found, neither side of the neutral switch is earthed. Make sense? It's madness.
Here for a good time, not a long time.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Neutral light not working

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:48 am

So if you place your multimeter + on the + terminal on your battery and the - to the neutral wire as you change gears you will find either neutral will give you earth or the other way around.
If all good follow the chain up to the ECU and the multipin up there to see if you still have signal.
laughter is the best medicine

guysie99
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by guysie99 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 am

If it's earthed shouldn't it have no resistance to the negative?
Here for a good time, not a long time.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Unscrew the wire on the neutral switch then turn the Ignition on. You should get a voltage reading either in gear or the other way in neutral taking power from the battery.
Once established screw it back in and go to the next connector to find your voltage reading. I think there is a bullet connector up about 200mm.
Check for voltage then move up to the one on the main ECU connector to find your voltage reading
laughter is the best medicine

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:42 pm

Hi

Bit of an old topic and not sure how this ended but I have a similar problem that's been puzzling me.. the Neutral isn't coming on my rebuilt cafe racer bike, I've followed Cobba's steps just above and get voltage when in Neutral all the way from the light blue bullet connector from the neutral switch through to the "safety" relay and ECU. I tested the neutral wire up to the speedo for continuity and tested the Neutral LED light on my speedo, no issues found. I've swapped out ECU & safety switch from my other Rex and still the same.

Any suggestions on where I could look next?

Cheers!

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:18 am

Can you disconnect the wires from the LED on your speedo and check that the voltage on the wires changes when you engage/disengage neutral?
If it does, is it the same way around that made the LED light up when you tested it?
It is possible that the LED could be installed the wrong way around. Unlikely, but still possible.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:33 am

dicky wrote:Can you disconnect the wires from the LED on your speedo and check that the voltage on the wires changes when you engage/disengage neutral?
If it does, is it the same way around that made the LED light up when you tested it?
It is possible that the LED could be installed the wrong way around. Unlikely, but still possible.
Hi Dicky, I forgot to specify this but I have no voltage on the neutral wire coming to the speedo so I tested the speedo's neutral LED using the high beam feed instead to confirm the LED is working.. Hence why I think the issue comes earlier in the loom.. I must've missed something simple somewhere but can't figure out where.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:47 pm

So the wiring from the switch to the ECU is OK.
The wiring from the ECU to the dash is OK.
You've changed ECU's.
I guess the only thing left to do is change the the pilot air jet in the left side carby.
As we all know, most electrical problems are caused by the carburetor.

Can you test the neutral wire out of the ECU before the dash?
If you've already changed ECU's then I doubt that the ECU is the problem.
It seems more liley to be a wiring problem.

Perseverance may prevail.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

sadmansteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sadmansteve » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:50 pm

I had the same fault on one of my TRX's. I tested the wiring, switch etc and traced the fault to the multi circuit relay that sits in front of the battery, swapped it out and fixed the problem.