Smoke out of the exhaust..

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Smoke out of the exhaust..

Post by [JP] » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am

Hello guys!

Wonder if you can tell me if this is normal or not…

When I start the bike in the morning, as it's really cold, there's some smoke coming out of the exhaust, that's normal. My yzf does the same…

But on the TRX, first the smoke comes out the right hand exhaust and if I put my hand in front it's a bit warm and there's no smoke coming out of the left exhaust and it's cold…
After a while it changes…. Stops smoking on the right exhaust and smoke comes out the left one…

Is this normal?

Maybe the word is not smoke...maybe fumes? It's that normal winter morning smoke you get..

Thanks!!
JP
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 am

Does it smell like oil smoke? Does it linger or quickly disperse?

From the sound of your description so far it sounds like it's moisture in the cans and it's only hitting on one cylinder at first. As for 'normal' winter mode... I wouldn't know as I don't ride when it's cold (if I can help it!). :oops:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:21 am

No, it doesn't smell of oil, that's one of the things I've done was to smell my hand after leaving it in front of the exhaust exit…but no smelll there.

But now that you talk about moisture in the cans and all that, might make sense…
Would it be hitting first the right can, because I leave the bike in the garage on the sidestand and therefore the right can is more "open" to the cold?

Same like if you park your car on a road with a camber to the right… next morning your left windows will be frozen but the right windows will be fine…..

Does this make any sense?
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:25 am

I'm just guessing here but leaving it on the sidestand might allow more fuel to be settling in the left float chamber making it too rich on startup and not hitting right away. If it disappears after a bit of warmup I wouldn't worry about it yet, especially if there is no burned oil smell.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:41 am

Yes, it disappears just after a few minutes when it's warm…
Was just wondering if it was normal to smoke on one side first and then the other….but looks like it makes sense why now..

Thanks!
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:34 pm

Mate,

I recall us having a discussion on this before a while back, as one of my cans gets a fair bit warmer than the other. Can't remember what the outcome was, other than it wasn't owt to worry about. If it is not 'oily' at the can outlet, then it's probably from being on the stand and the fact that one pipe seems to run hotter quicker than the other i.e. smoke from one side only.

Dave.

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:55 pm

Ok.. Cool!!!
So nothing to worrie here then…

Imagine that it was oily… what would that be the problem?
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:01 pm

Only after being parked for a while, probably valve guide seals...
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 pm

if it goes as quick as you say its probably steam ,,every gallon of petrol you burn you also make nearly a gallon of water ,this is in the form of condensation and the only way to get rid of this is by engine heat ,if you start your car up from cold and watch the exhaust you will see it go through this cycle and if you have ever striped a motor thats only done short runs ,say two or three miles you will find rust forming on the steel parts of the internals .. so dont worry just make sure its up to temp before you stop for any length of time ......hope this helps :)

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:48 am

Keep a close eye on the oil level. If it's burning oil it will get through a fair bit in a pretty short time.

Mine smokes a bit on start-up, but it does burn oil, even though I rebuilt it a short while ago. It doesn't smell oily though, at least not on start up.