R1 forks strip down

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

R1 forks strip down

Post by billy budge » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Alreet my beauties

To those that have R1 forks, is there a 'how to' guide or something similar available, on how to strip and rebuild the forks?? I don't want to have to spend £20 to buy a manual, just for the forks section.

I want to get the knuckles powder coated as the PJ1 porcelain based frame paint (supposedly chip resistant...my arse), that I used is no way near hard enough and cracks and chips when bolts are done up etc. I assume (never having forks powder coated before) that the oil has to be drained, due to the oven cure needed after spraying the powder on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as ever.

Bill.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

Kevtrx849

Re: R1 forks strip down

Post by Kevtrx849 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Youtube, brilliant resource for helpful tips and pointers. Watch a couple though because not everybody gets it right. I bought the tool set from Traxxiondynamics which makes the job so much easier (Ebay).
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Thank you my man. Why do I always forget about youtubes infinite supply of useful vids. I shall have a look later.

Cheers for the tool heads up too. Any job is easier and doable with the right kit. 8)

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:41 pm

I didn't get much joy on youtube but if people are in the same boat, then www.carlsalter.com, is a very handy place to go.

I got both the service manual and the parts manual for the R1 off there, for absolutely free. Time to get cracking!! 8)