Oil

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

thule916
TRX-Enthusiast

Oil

Post by thule916 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 pm

I know this is a much talked about subject but just wanted to give my experience in case it's of use to anyone. My bike isa 96 on a P plate with 50k km. It had always used a fair bit of oil since having it. Just under though what Yamaha say is acceptable. I dont ride that hard however and when it did its first track day last year it ran like a 2 stroke, every 20 minute session it would have to be topped up by quite a bit.

I've done the valve clearances which made no difference and due to limited mechanical know how I've put off the inevitable stem seal and ring overhaul. My dad told me to try putting in some 20 50 which is what he had always run everything on. So last oil change before the summer I changed it for some Castrol 20 50 oil for wet clutches. I have ridden it all summer and so far I havent had to top up once. It seems to run better too, but that might be in my head, so have been revving it far harder than before when its properly warmed up.

Know I am probably only delaying the big job but thought it may be useful for someone in a similar position. I'll find out the exact oil if anyone's interested.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Oil

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:03 am

I have found that mine drinks worn oil (a sight glass in around 200 miles!) but doesn't touch Hein Gericke's own 10w40 for at least a thousand miles, even on motorway runs. It may last longer than that, more testing required..

I wonder if modern "fancy" oils are just too thin and get past the rings?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Trixed
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trixed » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 am

Hi guys
I use Penrite 15w40 racing synthetic. Haven't had to top it up at all. Bikes a 1995 Japanese. Feel the bike runs best on this one as it is locally made in Australia by passionate owners. Have used motul etc in other bikes but feel the Penrite is best for the trx motor. I also have a 1960 Bmw r26. I use a direct 50 in that motor to keep consumption down and the motor runs best on the same. Motor runs pretty cold as well on the Penrite.
It is time to rev your hearts!

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 am

The only time i moved away from using motul 5100 i found the gearbox was full of neutrals so went back to Motul. I only do trackdays now. sometimes it drinks a fair bit and other days it will go all day without a top up. I cant work it out.
Interesting to hear your different ideas, but i think i will stick with the correct grade.
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

Having used 5100 in several bikes it is good but it does seem to be on the thin side, particularly when hot. Older engines seem to be happier with the Hein Gericke stuff which is rebadged 5000 (so they say).

Anyone else using 5100?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Did try 20/50 in mine to up the oil pressure a bit but it still did a small end (due I think to high mileage wear combined with track riding).

Now use Castrol Power 1 10/40 semi synthetic. As Silver said, consumption is curiously variable.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Just to add to this, after a nice 1800 mile trip to Germany and back mine drank this much..

It drank ~400ml on the way there, which was mostly motorway, and then barely touched it for 4 days until the fifth day when the front brake stopped working and I used a lot of engine braking (though revs were mostly below 6K) when it drank half a sight glass. Then it drank over a litre coming home, maybe a third of a sight glass to the Tunnel (where I topped it up while waiting) and then completely emptied it (!) doing a constant 70-80 on the motorway up to Leicester including 4 stops, nothing amazing. I can't figure it at all, motorway makes it drink it but it doesn't seem to correlate to how fast you're going. 80 miles of autobahn at 5.5-6K had no obvious oil consumption at all, nor did 800 miles of medium to quick riding on twisty roads and hairpins, 7K being seen at times though not all that often after stories of shell failure. But cruising along at 70 and it slurps away..

Basically I have no idea what's going on. :huh:

QuickDraw
Site Sponsor

Post by QuickDraw » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah Snod; I was using 5100 (first time ever) when I got caught out. Lot of mountain road 2nd/3rd/4th gear high speed riding. Drank 2.5 litres inside 2000km #-o #-o #-o

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 am

Snod Blatter wrote:Just to add to this, after a nice 1800 mile trip to Germany and back mine drank this much..

It drank ~400ml on the way there, which was mostly motorway, and then barely touched it for 4 days until the fifth day when the front brake stopped working and I used a lot of engine braking (though revs were mostly below 6K) when it drank half a sight glass. Then it drank over a litre coming home, maybe a third of a sight glass to the Tunnel (where I topped it up while waiting) and then completely emptied it (!) doing a constant 70-80 on the motorway up to Leicester including 4 stops, nothing amazing. I can't figure it at all, motorway makes it drink it but it doesn't seem to correlate to how fast you're going. 80 miles of autobahn at 5.5-6K had no obvious oil consumption at all, nor did 800 miles of medium to quick riding on twisty roads and hairpins, 7K being seen at times though not all that often after stories of shell failure. But cruising along at 70 and it slurps away..

Basically I have no idea what's going on. :huh:
You used Pepsi... you didn't did you.
I use diesel engine oil in mine, (grabs popcorn, sits back).

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 am

deisel oil :shock: in your pepsi.. Makes me a little worried if you offer me a scotch :? whats the amber fluid in that bottle :o ... If i taste salty scotch ..your in trouble Ash :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:12 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:deisel oil :shock: in your pepsi:? helps it go down better. whats the amber fluid in that bottle :o ... If i taste salty scotch ..your in trouble Ash :lol: :lol:
Actually, you would be in trouble.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am

sounds like your takin the piss... :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:03 pm

ekoja wrote: You used Pepsi... you didn't did you.
I use diesel engine oil in mine, (grabs popcorn, sits back).
Motul 5100, diesel oil, Pepsi, it's all the same innit? Dark liquids all of them, what could go wrong?

Seriously though I knew 1L wouldn't be enough but 4L was too much and very heavy in the box, but no one sells oil in 2L bottles - who would want that much anyway??

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Mmmmmmm dark matter...

If it's not made in China, it's a fake!