Piston Rings

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

SDN
Site Sponsor

Piston Rings

Post by SDN » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:43 am

Anyone know where I can get a set of standard piston rings - getting so pissed off with oil consumption. I have tried Kedo

dixonj
Site Sponsor

Re: Piston Rings

Post by dixonj » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:47 am

Fowlers @ Bristol

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

Cheers - as a matter of interest, head gasket - Yamaha or pattern ditto Valve stem oil seals

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 am

Maybe a silly question but have you changed the oil? I'm using basic Hein Gericke 10w40 and it doesn't touch it for the first thousand miles or so, then drinks more and more as the miles go by - eventually after ~3K it can empty the sight glass in 200 miles of motorway.

Maybe modern oils are too thin?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 am

SDN wrote:Cheers - as a matter of interest, head gasket - Yamaha or pattern ditto Valve stem oil seals
I have used genuine Yamaha for these more critical components.

Head gasket is about £50 and stem seals are £5ea so £100 all in with vat.

Just about to do the same job (with a head swap) for mine.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:18 am

this assumes that the cause of the oil consumption is the piston rings or the valve stem seals, which is logical. However the valves stem seals may be stuffed as a result of too little clearance on the intake valves, so if you are doing head work it could well be worthwhile to replace all the inlet valves
Paul

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 am

Well, the bike has always had high oil consumption, but just lately I decided to measure it, result 3.5 litres in 1000 miles - horrific.

having a look down the inlet when I was putting the FCRs on, I noticed a large build up of carbon on one of the valves, which would suggest valve seal stems.

looking at the amount of work I will have to do anyway, precautionary principle would require deglazing cylinder walls and new rings

While the engine is split may do the Kent cams and porting + new cam chain

Luckily I have a spare head so could do all the work before stripping the engine - reducing downtime