Chain split links vs. rivets

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Chain split links vs. rivets

Post by misterdimwiddy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:13 pm

What's the general opinion on using split links on drive chains rather than rivet links?

Need to shorten my 520 chain to run with a 40t rear Renthal but have not got a chain rivet tool.

Bike is used for trackdays only so the last thing I want is the chain coming apart.

All thoughts welcomed especially if it saves me £50 on a tool.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: Chain split links vs. rivets

Post by Killerwhale » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:16 pm

misterdimwiddy wrote:What's the general opinion on using split links on drive chains rather than rivet links?

Need to shorten my 520 chain to run with a 40t rear Renthal but have not got a chain rivet tool.

Bike is used for trackdays only so the last thing I want is the chain coming apart.

All thoughts welcomed especially if it saves me £50 on a tool.
My supermech don´t have a rivet tool either, he has a big weight behind and a hammer =D>

bubbaad
Site Sponsor

Post by bubbaad » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Split link is fine as long as it's put on the RIGHT way...... :D

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Either type do the job well, had the split link type on my tt600s in my early years, mostly hill climbs and rough play,..never had one go bad..gotta fit the split link rear to the direction of chain travel.
Split link has my vote as it can be un-hitched where the riveted one can't and is a once use only.

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 am

Have used both. TRX currently has a rivet link, which seems ok, but I much prefer a split link. Same as said before, never had a split link go, ever.

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

Gordo
Site Sponsor

Post by Gordo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:02 am

Must have is the "new " style curved clip for the master link.

I've been advised that the flat clips are not so trustworthy on road bikes over 500cc.
Want the spec tool to fit curved clips in 3.8 seconds which is easily available/affordable (or up to six times trying with multigrips a screwdriver & cursing).

Gordo-

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Phil, Got to be rivet.(soft link) Portable vice. centre punch and ball pein hammer works for me. Split links are only suitable for dinky toys. i had one break on an SZR.
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

misterdimwiddy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by misterdimwiddy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks everyone for a range of thoughts and opinions. Helped me make my own mind up...............

May just trailer it up to my local bike shop and get them to take a couple of links out and pop a soft link in for a tenner. If I buy a pucker riveting tool it will just sit in my tool box for ever. Even using a vice and a punch/hammer would leave me with some worry about whether I had done a good enough job.

Don't mind tackling most things mechanical but some things leave me with a nagging feeling of self doubt. Fitting carpet is another one; better to pay a professional?

Think I will be happier with minimal chance of it seperating especially as I don't do any road miles.