r6 rear shock

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

radman
TRX-Enthusiast

r6 rear shock

Post by radman » Fri May 17, 2013 8:46 pm

hi everyone, i have fitted an r6 rear shock but it feels a bit soft i need to alter the preload can someone please tell me to increase is it the large knurled nut that i have to screw up, thanks.

fung
Site Sponsor

Re: r6 rear shock

Post by fung » Sat May 18, 2013 3:19 am

Hi mate.
Questions :
what year shock is it ?
what weight are you kitted up ?
There is a thread on The forum with settings :)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 am

I'm about 85kg suited up and to get the static sag right I'm on 5 (1 being the lowest) .. The R6 is a lighter bike than the TRX by around 14kg so even tho the spring rate on the R6 is for a 86 kg rider the spring is probably a little soft than that on the Trx being a heavier bike .. I'm just chasing the length of a R6 swingarm as these factors all play to the damping and springs. Dogbone length comes into play also.. The R6 shock has a 46mm body which is a few mm larger than the TRX so the R6 shock is a improvement than your tired old TRX shock but ultimately once resprung and revalved to suit you and the TRX the shock will be at its prime.. The R6 shocks are known to squatting and I notice this and its probably exasibated on the TRX when hard on the throttle out of corners taking weight further on the rear end and lightening the front causing an slight under steer out of the corner..
laughter is the best medicine

radman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by radman » Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 pm

sorry for the delay in answering, i dont know what year the shock is but i weigh in at 100 kilos ready to go hope this helps, thank you

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm

It seems that many japanese sports bikes come with suspension made for 75 to 85 kilo riders .
Perhaps visit the racetech site and use their spring rate toolkit to see what you need :)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 am

radman wrote:sorry for the delay in answering, i dont know what year the shock is but i weigh in at 100 kilos ready to go hope this helps, thank you

About the same here, spring is a little on the soft side, I'm running max preload or max -1.

Yes, the big aluminum collar is for preload adjustment.

radman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by radman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:35 am

thanks for the advice guys i will try it out today thanks