R1 forks fit

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: R1 forks fit

Post by sykalwr4 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm

I had thought about going down the emulator path ,but after pricing the parts(my genuine forks are pretty worn and not been serviced by the smell of the oil) I decided to go the r1 fork way so I can easily fine tune whilst they are on the bike .With the emulators in the std forks they have to be removed to make any changes as the damper rods get cut off.
However ,I will be keeping the genuine front end complete and changing the oil and seals so I can go back to std if I dont like the conversion .

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 pm

well Ive started my conversion.Bought a second hand bottom triple clamp(trx) and cut the stem out.Knurled the stem up 0.3 mm (13 thou) and pressed it into the R1 lower with a spot of loctite retainer compound .(sweet fit) :D
Measured everything up and decided to get the left hand fork leg inner axle boss machined 5 mm so I can use the std speedo drive and 17mm axle with the TRX wheel .I will pick the spacers and forks up on wednesday .My machinist friend had a compressor that needed an electrical repair, so the barter system is alive and kickin ,spacers and machining at no charge. 8)
Have been looking at using a kawasaki or honda top clamp as they have the ignition in the centre which might make it easier to get the steering lock operational.A friend has just bought a wrecked 2012 honda 600 for his new sidecar racing outfit so I will be able to try that without buying it first . :idea:
I will hopefully post some pics of the machined bits later for comment . :wink:
And the finished product 8-[

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm

what model R1 forks are you using ?
Pics, dimensions and specs would be lovely.
I went for a very quick ride with some late model R1s, GSXRs and ZX10s last week over some bumpy roads, and they ate them up with me bouncing around.
I had thought it was an ok ride till then :)
1996 tech versus 2010 hmmm.
Cheers
Fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Ive purchased a front end minus wheel from a 2003 R1 .have to sort how to post pics before I can show any :roll:

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

sykalwr4 wrote:well Ive started my conversion.Bought a second hand bottom triple clamp(trx) and cut the stem out.Knurled the stem up 0.3 mm (13 thou) and pressed it into the R1 lower with a spot of loctite retainer compound .(sweet fit) :D
Measured everything up and decided to get the left hand fork leg inner axle boss machined 5 mm so I can use the std speedo drive and 17mm axle with the TRX wheel .I will pick the spacers and forks up on wednesday .My machinist friend had a compressor that needed an electrical repair, so the barter system is alive and kickin ,spacers and machining at no charge. 8)
Have been looking at using a kawasaki or honda top clamp as they have the ignition in the centre which might make it easier to get the steering lock operational.A friend has just bought a wrecked 2012 honda 600 for his new sidecar racing outfit so I will be able to try that without buying it first . :idea:
I will hopefully post some pics of the machined bits later for comment . :wink:
And the finished product 8-[
a few updates.
1 the inner boss should have 4.5mm taken off .I took 5mm off and the wheel was off centre .Its fixed now with an spacer that locates in the inner side of the fork leg.
2 The cbr top clamp is too narrow and the kawasaki clamp has the ignition lock in at the wrong angle .will let you know more when I sort it out .

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:10 pm

well Ive completed the mods and fitted the R1 front forks and triple clamps .It seems the 2003 R1 clamps are the best option as they have the same offset as the TRX clamps .(some other models have larger offsets)
Ive ended up with a caster/rake angle of 24 degrees and a 100mm trail using the genuine 120/60/17 front tyre size.
Pretty happy with that as the std TRX is 25 deg @ 97mm and the 2003 R1 is 24 deg @ 103mm with a 120/70/17.
It handles quite nicely and will only get better with tweeking settings .
theres a few pics on my photobucket page" wildwestal" .I will add some drawings( with measurements) when I have time . :lol: 8) =D>