Wire

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Wire

Post by billy budge » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Calling all you sparky types......

After finishing my new bars today, I want to run all the switch gear wiring through the bars again like I did with my original set of bars. The guy who made my loom is very busy with racing season so I will do the wiring myself.

It is all of the original trx switch gear wiring but due to taller risers etc, I need to extend them slightly so I am after a reel of wire to do the job. The existing original wires measure between 2-2.5mm including the insulation but I dont have a clue as to what wire I need especially for the power rating. Where to get it would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Wire

Post by cal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi, you need single core multistrand cable, and some heatshrink insulation, it will probably be about .75mm -1.0mm (wires are measured by their Cross Sectional Area, CSA, of the copper inside), If you take a little bit of some into an electrical wholesaler like Edmunsons or the like then they should be able to match the size for you, the colour coding might be a bit of a problem though as you might be a bit limited in the choices of colours, you should be able to buy the wire 1metre at a time in the different colours. This will work out at probably 1/4 or less than the price of buying small reels from halfords
A good tip when getting the wires through a tight space is to leave a little extra on the length you need, and stagger the lengths, before taping them together or heatshrinking you can also nick the ends of the insulation on the wires to give a numerical code to what the wire does, (1 nick for horn 2nicks for indicator etc...).
A cheap multimeter would be the go for this job if you dont have one already, one with continuity and volts
:D
Cal

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Genius Cal, cant thankyou enough. I have all the bits needed to do the job but just wasnt sure on what the wire was. That will help me out a treat. :D

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 pm

as an aside, electricians use a cable lube when sliding cabling thru conduit over distance.
here in OZ, we can buy it from Bunnings or Masters.
cheers
fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks Fung...most helpful.

leebex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by leebex » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:23 pm

we use vaseline at work to pull multi core cables and singles through conduits, saves buying anything fancy.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 pm

true, but isnt the fancy stuff non conductive and non corrosive ?
Cheers
Fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

rbaron25
Site Sponsor

Post by rbaron25 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:24 am

Vaseline is good for all sorts of stuff, just ask Cobba , or Stank, or Mince for that matter
I didn't see you...
Cause you didn't bloody look!

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:14 am

rbaron25 wrote:Vaseline is good for all sorts of stuff, just ask Cobba , or Stank, or Mince for that matter
Bwaah hahaha!! =D>

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 pm

cal wrote:Hi, you need single core multistrand cable, and some heatshrink insulation, it will probably be about .75mm -1.0mm (wires are measured by their Cross Sectional Area, CSA, of the copper inside), If you take a little bit of some into an electrical wholesaler like Edmunsons or the like then they should be able to match the size for you, the colour coding might be a bit of a problem though as you might be a bit limited in the choices of colours, you should be able to buy the wire 1metre at a time in the different colours. This will work out at probably 1/4 or less than the price of buying small reels from halfords
A good tip when getting the wires through a tight space is to leave a little extra on the length you need, and stagger the lengths, before taping them together or heatshrinking you can also nick the ends of the insulation on the wires to give a numerical code to what the wire does, (1 nick for horn 2nicks for indicator etc...).
A cheap multimeter would be the go for this job if you dont have one already, one with continuity and volts
:D
Good advice there - Edmunsons tend to be huosehold electricians - might be better to go to try an auto electrician factor for the multicore of the diameter you need.
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white