Cyl Head Fubar

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Cyl Head Fubar

Post by Mincehead » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:55 pm

I agree A, umbrella shaped would seem to indicate pocketing, the seats should be square / flat showing no radiuses on the seating face.
Of course they will be angled in relation to the guide, 45 degrees being the norm.
Any good quality pictures available?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Steve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi mincehead,

These are from the head thats going back, they werent overly kee about it but pretty much told them it's as bad as mine which has done 55,000 mile, they were still confident that it was from a 15,000 miler though.

Not so sure about good quality! taken with my mobile, bloody hard work that was gettin the sod to focus where i wanted!!
Anyway attached the pics that were someway useable, and a couple of cam lobe shots too for fun.

So kiddies unless you want your valves to look like this, get the clearances sorted! infact the guy i had look at it said he thought the service interval was too high! more like too late on this one :(

EDIT:
Oh bum whered the pics go?? will have a look later, failing that anyone wants them pm/email me
email just add my name to theis with out a space :) s.pc@gmail.com
Red 97' Rex + Black/bronze '53 Falco

Steve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Steve » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Just thought i'd better add an update :)

The barstewards i got the head from didnt want it back either so i'm p'eed off to the tune of 160 quid!!! the bike still isnt done but the missus is happy cos at least i redecorated the dining room!

So now i can get back to the bike...
so i got my original head sorted, just in tolerance according to the guy who done it, now i have another issue, tick over fine, bit of a bog down at 1500 rpm then revs like a good un, drop the throttle and two or three pops then a loud bang and a nice 12" ish of blue flame from both zorsts! fook me looks and sounds great but dont think it's gonna be doing it any favours so currently trying to figure whats wrong where, checked timing marks/cam rotation and is spot on according to manual and it looks right if you know what i mean, checked carbs, theyre as good/bad as they were, tried with/without factory pro tubes & needles and even stepped back to the old 137.5 main jet!
and she'd still make for a good mobile barbecue!!

been through the top end 3 times now checking & rechecking and cant see sod all wrong without maybe pulling the head off again so i think i'm gonna have to get a local mechanic to have a look at it cos i'm about stumped and fed up not being able to go for a quick blast up the road on the odd day or two we call summer :(

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Any update of your problems Steve?
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Steve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Steve » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi,

well sort of made progress, pulled the carbs again refitted the 142.5 jets plus the factory pro tubes and needles re checked the float heights and bugger me it's stopped spitting flames now!? still pssed with it cos i still dont know what/where the problem was...

Took it for an MOT too :shock: 1st and probably only ride this year :x but passed fine, yet to see if mid/top fuelling is ok but currently too busy with work to sort tax/insurance and besides off to oz in november so pennies best used for that methinks 8)

I will however report back next year when i will get to ride it and see how the fuelling goes.