manual radiator fan switch

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

k0no
TRX-Enthusiast

manual radiator fan switch

Post by k0no » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:58 pm

had a quick search through the forum, didn't see what i was looking for. apologies if this is a repeat topic.

so;

i'm not too impressed with the high temperature at which the fan decides to kick in.... is it a popular/reasonable mod to add in a manual switch? (obviously keeping the thermostat for those rare occasions when you just forget to switch it on and then kill the bike by overheating, derp)

if so, where's a good place to look?

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: manual radiator fan switch

Post by cal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Never heard of a trx overheating, but thats not to say its never happened,
Re the switch, it would be fairly easy, take a live from some where in the loom that switches off when you turn the key to the off position, and then to a one way switch and from there to the power in side of the rad fan motor, the motor should have its neutral connected permenantly,so it would just be the addition of a switched live.
Cal

k0no
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by k0no » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 pm

well, i wasn't particularly worried about the bike "overheating" per se... just that in hot weather and stationary traffic, i'm not that comfortable with the bike sitting at over 100 degrees before the fan finally decides to kick in.

i mean, quite apart from anything else, the coolant is water. it's got stuff in it and the boiling point will be higher, but it's still not great.

i'd be much happier if it kicked in at around 85 or 90.

yeah i'll have a browse around. fitting a simple manual override would be highly preferable for hot sunny weather.

this isn't urgent, of course... just a personal preference. i want to take care of the thing =).

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Your coolant SHOULD be 50 / 50 ethylene glycol and deionised water, and remember it`s a pressurised system so it`ll not boil til at least 120 degrees, maybe higher!
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 pm

The water / coolant is also under pressure, this raises its boiling point considerably.
I have a bypass switch on mine though.
Be sure to fit it to the left side so you can switch with your clutch hand, not throttle hand.
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot