fork service

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

fork service

Post by handsomejackuk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:45 am

Have ridden my 900 miles this year. And just renewed fork seals on my supermoto... the oil was manking.... looking to strip my trx forks... they have never been off any tips on oil weight... and changing the oil... bike 1999 with just over 11.000 miles...

Tips please

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: fork service

Post by cal » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:08 am

:D :lol: Dont eat yellow snow :lol: :D

@11000 miles the forks should be ok inside bushes wise and if they are not leaking, then why not just change the oil?

suppose fork weight would depend on your own weight and how you want it to feel, progressive springs might be an upgrade for you if you feel its a bit soft, but I suppose again that depends on your weight and how you want it to feel.

Standard oil weight is 10W
Cal

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

Wot is the qty of oil....needed or the height. ? Is there a drainer at the bottom of forky?

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:15 pm

483mls according to Mr Haynes
No drain hole, so remove legs undo big top nut,tip it upside down, watch as all the springs an spacers etc fall out, knock over the light plastic woefully inadequate container you have to catch the oil, curse and swear as the oil goes everywhere, quickly lean the fork leg against the wall, as you grab some rags, still cursing and swearing, pick up the 1/4 full plastic woefully inadequate oil container, spring and spacer trying to put down them in an order so you dont forget which way round they fell out, realise the bench is full of shit, watch in horror as the fork you just put against the wall, the stanchon slowly slipping back inside the leg and starts a gentle ever decreasing arc, its path leading to the dogs head, still miraculously still sleeping throughout the last 6.2 seconds of chaos. Contact. Dog leaps up starts running for the door, paws slipping on the oily floor, making no forward movement, the dog then looses balance, your eyes meet just before you try to step out of its way, inevitably this is the moment that the paws get a bite on the dry part of the floor,changing his direction to directly under your foot, you hands still holding the spring, spacer, woefully inadequate oil container, top nut and damper rod are unable to reach out to catch the bench to help regain you balance, you stumble headlong towards the wall. Contact. You drop the oil pot spring spacers, top nut and damper rod, and start a renewed bout of cursing and swearing, far louder and more explicit than before, male and female genitalia being mentioned repeatedly thoughout, with one final cruel twist of fate you step on the spring, it rolls quickly under the pressure of your foot. As your legs reach chest height you wonder fleetingly for a moment what is it exactly that attracts you to motorcycling. you land and all is well momentarily before the pain sweeps over you, and you think, "It would have been a bloody good idea to put a drain plug in the bottom of the forks!"
:roll: :D :D
Cal

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

thanx but i dont think that will happen to me...i is too much of a protectionist !!!!

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:36 pm

I went with progressive springs, 15w and an extra 10mm through the top yoke (28.5mm total)

pretty happy with the set up

I found the 10w a little under-damped when in spirited riding which I put down to the higher spring rate (under load) of the progressive springs
Paul

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Personal experience Cal or simply comedic writing? whatever I ENJOYED it. =D> =D> =D> :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm

@ Mince, Shite weather stuck indoors with kids for second day running......bored.......cabin fever begins to set in.........
Cal

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Sunny and warm with a brisk wind up here mate. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Wet and wet down here, but I did have faghitas for tea so the wind should be along any moment now.......
Cal

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:29 am

Been p***ing down in Brum all weekend - however out the window there is a gap in the clouds and the sun is out - unfortunately meeting folks today rather than riding.

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 am

blue skys in York, Pity the bike needs fixed......again........
Cal

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:41 am

Mincehead wrote:Personal experience Cal or simply comedic writing? whatever I ENJOYED it. =D> =D> =D> :lol:
+1...sounds so possible.., can you do a full sevice soon..?...oh and maybe involve a squrirrel..love those things
this u-tube was on our server today.

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 am

:shock: :D Flying cats!....lovin' abit of that on a bank holiday monday morning,
I need to do the valves soon, so will maybe do a write up on that.... :D
Sorry for the thread hijack h/jack (see what I done there, :lol: :roll: ) you know its worth it :wink:
Cal

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 am

Cal, can't you do something simple first... like changing the spark-plugs ??
I'm planning on changing the fork-oil soon but do I have to buy a dog first ??
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.