carb cleaning

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Kenvis Repesco
TRX-Enthusiast

carb cleaning

Post by Kenvis Repesco » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm

A new boiler instalation dictates a professional ultrasonic carb clean is out of the question until the end of the month. As by nature I am an impatient kind of human being, is there any other way of doing a reasonable carb clean. I do have access to an air line, but was wondering if any of you gurus could maybe enlighten me as to the best way to clean my carbs reasonably effectively.

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Re: carb cleaning

Post by trixynut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:50 pm

I've cleaned carbs successfully with aerosol carb cleaner which will blast through and fuel/air ways and disolve any old fuel jelly and crap.

Use a stuff like a toothbrush and cotton buds.

An air line may be a bit too powerfull for what you want.

Just be careful of all the little bits (needles, O rings, seals etc)

Kenvis Repesco
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Kenvis Repesco » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 pm

There are afew on Ebay, can you recommend a good one. Thanks David.

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Think the one I used was either Silkolene or Wynns but any is ok as long as its in an aerosol can.

Kenvis Repesco
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Kenvis Repesco » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Forgive my ignorance...but I have never used it before, how is the best way to use it. Is it just a case of taking the float bowls off, and the floats and jets, and spraying it into all the orrifices etc. Thanks David.

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Its just a manual way of cleaning carbs.

Comes in an aerosol can and will disolve any old petrol residue in the carbs and will blast out any crap from the air and fuel ways.

Yep, you need to take the carbs apart, take off the bowls etc and just give them a spray and a gentle brush. Basic stuff really, not tricky.

Stankflapper
TRX-Enthusiast
Location: Australia. Land of Cold beer & Bitchy women, and fast bikes!

Post by Stankflapper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I have a bike that has been sitting for a very long time. I recently turned on the fuel tap and it wet itself all over the floor from sticky needle and seat. I took off the fuel line undid the bowl drain and squirted a heap of the Carby cleaner down the line followed by a small amount of compressed air. To my amazement this saved me having to remove the carbies and strip them down, as the fuel stopped coming out the overflows and the bike runs great! :D

Kenvis Repesco
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Kenvis Repesco » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks so much for that.

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:56 am

always use my compressor for cleaning my scooter carb out...no probs with that...

TRX carbs have never been off, and see no reason to take them off as i have no problem with them...

but if i was to clean them i would probably just use my compressor.... clean the outsides first with carb cleaner / gunk... depending on how dirty they are...then carefully trip down each one... and carefully blow out all orifices.. and replace and o rings seals as and when...