dbKillers installed

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

foo
TRX-Enthusiast

dbKillers installed

Post by foo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Everyone,

So, my bike's got a set of very open cans which sound good except they really are too loud for me. After a friend of mine lost my stock exhausts (wtf!) I did get my hands on some new stock ones, but I figured I'd install a set of dbKillers on the existing ones and see what happens.
_4010395_b1.jpg
This is the back of my bike before the install. I took a noise measurement according to what I believe is the test standard, 45 degrees to the side, 500mm away. The reading was 110 db(A). :shock: No wonder I thought it was loud.
_4060399_b2.jpg
The left one in!
I bought these on ebay.. But being rather ditsy at the time, I ordered a size that was the same size as the outlet... #-o So not only was it not going to go in, but I didn't take into account the bend at the tip. I took a hacksaw to the end and chopped a bit out and squeezed them down until they fit. Ok, so they look a little rough, but hey....
_4060401_b3.jpg
Both in!
I took another noise reading and it's now down to 102 db(A). To be honest, it doesn't sound as nice because the deep rumble now has a strange high pitched puff to it. I have some exhaust wrap coming so I'll wrap the baffles when it arrives and see how that goes. Legal limit around these parts is 95db(A). If I'm happy with the results and the hacksaw job is bothering me, I might order another set that fits properly.. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPX250 -> Bandit GSF600 -> TRX850

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Re: dbKillers installed

Post by trixynut » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Nice job (who said 'bodge'! :-) )
I keep my db killers in all the time cos they have the opposite effect: take out some top-end tinnyness and give it a more subtle but still loud growl. Doesnt affect power at all.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:48 am

kudos to you foo :) =D>
just so heart warming . . .
to all you bike riding, tool wielding women =D> =D> .
makes me feel young again ;)
and cheeky !!
cheers
fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:30 am

contact MEGACYCLE EXHAUST, there local there in Melbourne and they can make up a teastrainer to fit in the end of the can to just knock the last few DB you need off. When you buy one of their cans they supply these and when tested on the dyno I lost around .5 HP and it works quite well to suppress the noise level.
laughter is the best medicine

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 am

one of these jobbiesImage
laughter is the best medicine

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:20 am

2nd that. I have Megacycle cans with their dB killers installed. Great Aussie products and service.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

foo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by foo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:24 am

Thanks for the compliments trixynut and fung! :)
Thanks for the tip cobba! I will look them up.
GPX250 -> Bandit GSF600 -> TRX850

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I fitted the db killers in my simmi's to ride into town get mot'd then home. I don't thrash about in built up areas & I live in the sticks anyway. I think twins are less intrusive anyway, sound great in m25 tunnels!

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42 pm

I fitted a pair of gold-anoldised Art straight-thru cans to my TRX. The pair weighed less than a single standard unit! Sounded lovely, but much too loud for the road, so I fitted some baffles. This took the bark off it, and it gets the bike through the MoT test. The engine seems a little freer running too, but this may be just nan impression.

However, although I normally wear ear plugs when I ride, if I don't have them in, the bike is still too loud for my ears. I'm going to have a bash at repacking the cans, and that might help. Otherwise, I'm going to have to try some more effective baffles. I might even try fitting another set of baffles in the rear end of the header pipes, just ahead of the cans.

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm

got some delicious scorpion cans on mine with the genuine scorpion removable baffle... one allen screw either side and they are out.... sounds gorgeous with them out, and glorious with them in... haad them out yesterday. and was beautful sound...

best of all they were real cheap just over £500 bargain...

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm

I`ve just scored a Scorpion titanium race can for 65 quid of EvilBay, plans already afoot for it and best of all REALLY cheap!
Personally I don`t think 500 quid IS cheap for a pair of cans, you`ve been watching those juggling norks on your avatar for too long Jack! :wink: :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:00 pm

i thought it was a good deal for those cans on my bike... ohh well dont matter its only money....

Grrrrrr grrrrr :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Al.