Handling help

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

pbear62
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Handling help

Post by pbear62 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks Mince - the legs on mine were flush with the clamp when I got it & I've set
them at 18.5mm to the top of the cap (where the 27mm hex is) which translates to
15mm of chrome tube protuding.
Gives me something to do out in the shed tonight .......! :D
Once you've had black - you'll never go back!

Bigamy is when you have one wife too many - Monogamy is the same!

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:53 pm

perhaps try 18.5 from the top of the clipon to the top of the fork stanchion (where the cap meets the tube)
Makes a difference :)
Cheers
Fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Stu Leslie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Stu Leslie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:32 pm

I'd dropped my forks by about 10mm last weekend. I went out for a spin over the Mountain Road yesterday and must say that it feels a lot nicer. Before the change the ride was ok but you would get a definite "drop" when leaning into a corner.

I've been considering getting some shorter dogbones but I'm not sure if this will make the handling better or worse now that the forks have been dropped by 10mm.

What would you guys recommend? :D

Cheers,

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Stu,

check out this recent thread on dogbones....

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7822

Dave

Stu Leslie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Stu Leslie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Dave, it's interesting.

So the way I'm reading it is that it's not worthwhile going for shorter dogbones if the forks are dropped through the yokes by 10mm as the handling will have the same results as putting the forks back to 18.5mm and YZF dogbones.

For some reason I was probably getting the wrong end of the stick and thinking that the handling was even better with both dropped forks and shorter dogbones. :?

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Just my two cents worth but, if you only drop the front you lower the centre of gravity which decreases the 'flickability'.
By combining a raised rear (say 20mm) with a dropped front (perhaps 10-15mm) and not running your forks too hard, you will have better/easier side to side flick and weight transfer under brakes to start your turn in.
Remember that harder isn't always better, as if the damping cannot control it, it will fight turn in.
like i say, IMHO ;)
Cheers
fung

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:29 pm

agree Fung, but I am not sure if Dave had dropped the forks to the stock setting yet.

Dave, at this stage have you dropped the forks to 18.5mm (stock setting) or just 10mm. Maybe I am a bit slow but I am just a bit confused at to where you are at now
Paul

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:30 am

I'd previously dropped the forks through to about 25mm showing (from the standard 18mm)

But on fitting the shorter dogbones and raising the back end, I put the forks back to standard 18mm showing cos I think both dropping the forks and raising the rear is a bit too much when done together

Plus I prefer the raised rear to the dropped forks as it raises the seat height and increases ground clearance.

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 am

I am not sure I agree with you there, fung.

Flickability (nice word) would be the force required to alter lean angle?
This force will be INCREASED the further away from the rotation point that the mass is. The fulcrum point for this discussion would be the tyres, looking from front or rear.
The manipulatioin of this force (your arse, hands and feet) stays at the same place.

To expand the theory-
I am thinking if there was a 2m long stick coming up vertically from the engine with 20kg on it then the bike wouldnt flick too well.
If that same 20 kg was under the engine it would all flick just fine.
Thus a lower centre of gravity is good, not bad for flickability.

Happy to be re-educated though. :D
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot

foo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by foo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 am

What are you guys saying about my ability?

Felicity
(aka Flick)

p.s. I have nothing useful to add to to this thread, but I do plan on trying the dropped forks at some point... at some point...
bagmaker wrote:I am not sure I agree with you there, fung.

Flickability (nice word) would be the force required to alter lean angle?
This force will be INCREASED the further away from the rotation point that the mass is. The fulcrum point for this discussion would be the tyres, looking from front or rear.
The manipulatioin of this force (your arse, hands and feet) stays at the same place.

To expand the theory-
I am thinking if there was a 2m long stick coming up vertically from the engine with 20kg on it then the bike wouldnt flick too well.
If that same 20 kg was under the engine it would all flick just fine.
Thus a lower centre of gravity is good, not bad for flickability.

Happy to be re-educated though. :D
GPX250 -> Bandit GSF600 -> TRX850

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:05 am

sounds like it wouldn't be that way eh.
Now, i only say IMHO as i did try the various combinations until i settled on 120/60 profile front tyre 160/60 rear, dropped front 10mm (with 10mm collars to raise the clipons) and raised rear 20mm.
add to this a 6kg 2-1(reduced ass weight;) ) and rearset pegs(up 25mm, back 25mm) and a lovely fresh R6 shock with better controlled damping and 10mm less airgap in the forks.
seems to work well.
would never go back.
got ground clearance max and steers light and controllable (mostly hehheh !)
to each his own.
cheers
fung

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:03 pm

I think the issue here is exactly that: each to his own.
Different people prefer a different feel and everyone rides their bike in a different way
there are so many other variables too: rider weight, fork oil, suspension age and set-up, bearings age, tyres, etc etc.
The only thing i know for sure is to make one change at once and see how you like it before making another.

handsomejackuk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by handsomejackuk » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:20 am

Not happy with mine today...dunno weather it was the thought of its last ride until next year... but... seems as though the front end is real vague.... went into one roundabout and the front seemed to tuck under.. tyres are great done about 1500 miles on them think they are avon vipers... 36 front 40 rear.. i wondering if they are a bit high.. really bouncy and skipping over bumps...

does this seem too high a tyres pressure i am 12 1/2 stone..... also my back brake feels vague and spongy, and chain seems slack.. ...

gonna do a bit of maintenance in the winter...

any recommandartion on tyre pressures please ?

Al..

AndyAshworth
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by AndyAshworth » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am

I'd say that was a bit high. Drop them to something like 32 front and 35 rear for normal road riding (even less if pressing on a bit).

leebex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by leebex » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 pm

last ride, theres weeks left yet :D :D

A previous owner fitted a 120/70 tyre on the front of my trx, handles pretty well, but I only weight 10stone so dont really upset any bike :P I put all my settings back to standard as they were all set for the heavier previous owner and it didnt suit me at all.