Best way to lift the front end up?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Best way to lift the front end up?

Post by WR450FGreg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 am

(In the absence of a workshop manual to refer to.......)

Does anyone have any tips for lifting the front end of a TRX850 up?
I want to get the front wheel off.

I have both front and rear race stands but the front one won't work because it hits the fairing just as the front end starts to lift. (Its the underneath/centre steering head lifting style, not either side of the axle type.)

How do people work on the steering head?
I assume it must be ok to support the bike on the engine cases? I am not comfortable with this!

Do I have to support the bike from above using straps attached to the roof structure of my workshop?
I've done this with other bikes in the past. A "hairy" practice at the best of times!

Greg
'98 TRX850, '08 WR450F, '91 TZ250, '79 TZ350, '76 TZ250, '80 KX125.

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Best way to lift the front end up?

Post by WR450FGreg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 am

I think I'll try making a spacer to fit over the pin on my front stand.
I'm hoping this might give me enough clearance under the fairing to be able to lift the front end.

Fingers crossed. :|

Greg

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 am

Or what you can do is file away at part of the casting that the pin sits in (like mine - Anderson stand) so that it clears the fairing when you lift it.

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by WR450FGreg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 am

The spacer didn't work. :(

I ended up slipping a piece of steel rod through the holes in the front of the crankcase (once I realised they were there!) and supporting the weight of the front of the bike on a pair of engine stands.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this. :)

Greg

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by WR450FGreg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 am

Wombat wrote:Or what you can do is file away at part of the casting that the pin sits in (like mine - Anderson stand) so that it clears the fairing when you lift it.

Bob
I'm not sure I follow you Bob.
Mine's a Sharp racing stand, an earlier version of the one below, but essentially the same. The horizontal chrome arm strikes the underside of the fairing as soon as it starts lifting.

I'm beginning to wonder if the diameter of the pin is critical. I turned my pin down to 15mm to suit the hole in my old TZ roadracers years ago.
The more I think about it the more I believe that I may need to turn up a sleeve to make the pin a snug fit in the steering stem on the TRX. That way the chrome arm would stay at the same angle during the lift.

Opinions?

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:36 am

those engine cast holes are the way to go.
if you don't have room for axle stands, you can use overhead lifting with the right size threaded eyebolt in the same hole, using a spreader bar and sling off an engine hoist/RSJ block and tackle.
i have been thinking of an ABBA stand http://www.abbastands.co.uk/ as another way to spend money, as they mount into the swingarm pivot bolt from both sides and lock in place.
lets you work on either end.
cheers
fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:59 am

WR450FGreg wrote:.
The spacer didn't work. :(

I ended up slipping a piece of steel rod through the holes in the front of the crankcase (once I realised they were there!) and supporting the weight of the front of the bike on a pair of engine stands.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this. :)

Greg
Certainly not the first, no. :D

I've got an engine stand I made that uses the same holes, that, in conjunction with the rear stand does the job for me.

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 am

G'day mate
seeing as you have a WR450 you probably have tie-down straps?
remove the tank from the TRX, there is a frame cross member about 150mm aft of the headstem
Your tie-downs will hook onto that perfectly, throw -em over a rafter or summink in the shed.

Good luck
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am

WR450FGreg wrote:.
Wombat wrote:Or what you can do is file away at part of the casting that the pin sits in (like mine - Anderson stand) so that it clears the fairing when you lift it.

Bob
I'm not sure I follow you Bob.
Mine's a Sharp racing stand, an earlier version of the one below, but essentially the same. The horizontal chrome arm strikes the underside of the fairing as soon as it starts lifting.

I'm beginning to wonder if the diameter of the pin is critical. I turned my pin down to 15mm to suit the hole in my old TZ roadracers years ago.
The more I think about it the more I believe that I may need to turn up a sleeve to make the pin a snug fit in the steering stem on the TRX. That way the chrome arm would stay at the same angle during the lift.

Opinions?

Ah well there you go Greg, mine is similar, but different. I can see what the problem is with yours. Mine is similar, but has an alloy casting about 100mm long that pivots at the end of that arm. The casting has a hole in it that the sleeve and pin sits in. The length of the casting was too long and catching the fairing as you lift, therefore I had to grind a bit off to clear. I'll try and find an image to show you what I mean

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by WR450FGreg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:23 pm

seeing as you have a WR450 you probably have tie-down straps?
Yes, I do.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks bagmaker.

Thanks too Bob.

Greg

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Greg, yep you've hit on the best way:

With a rear paddock stand on, jack up the engine underneath (its fine to do it onto the header pipes under the engine, but use a bit of wood as a buffer) then slide a bit of steel rod through the holes at the front of the engine and put some axle stands either side.

WR450FGreg
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by WR450FGreg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:58 am

(its fine to do it onto the header pipes under the engine, but use a bit of wood as a buffer)
Oh, ok. Thanks.
I'd rather do it that way than try and jack it under the cases somewhere! (Which is what I was thinking I'd have to do initially.)

I lifted the front tyre up onto a brick (bloody heavy these roadbikes!) then off it once I had the rod in place.
I like your idea much more. It'll save my 47 year old back!

Thanks for all input guys!
(Great forum!)

Greg

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:08 pm

What you need is one of these ... a bit of angle iron welded to an old scissor jack and a rod to slide thro' the holes in the crankcases .
('Course you need a rear paddock stand too)

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Nice wee tool that, maybe you could make a few quid knocking some up for members? Scissor jacks can be had for nowt at car breaker yards and could be supplied. :wink:
I`m hoping to get myself an Abba stand but even second hand they hold their prices at around 70 quid! :(
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

highlander
Site Sponsor

Post by highlander » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Mincehead wrote:Nice wee tool that, maybe you could make a few quid knocking some up for members? Scissor jacks can be had for nowt at car breaker yards and could be supplied. :wink:
I`m hoping to get myself an Abba stand but even second hand they hold their prices at around 70 quid! :(
The Abba lifts the rear, not the front. Is only really useful for access to the swinger/shock.

I jacked up the engine and put axle stands (plus neoprene to avoid scratches) directly to the engine cases, been sitting rock steady like that for six months.
Projection Racing 2-1 with Akropovic hex carbon can, Keihin FCRs @ 150 main, R6 shock conversion, 520 chain conversion, Ignitech ignition, Li-po battery. Further weight reduction & front suspension in progress ....