prepping an engine for painting

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

prepping an engine for painting

Post by billy budge » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Evening all

I am looking to paint my silver engine black, which I have planned to do for some time but have never got round to it. It is quite grubby and knarly so I wondered if anyone who has done this before could give me some helpful tips on how best to get it clean please, I plan to keep it complete rather than breaking it down. I know that Con Rod did it this way and it looked cool.
Dont know what cleaners/degreasers to use and in what order to use them eg use gunk/rinse/chemical cleaner/rinse etc and does the complete engine need rubbing down and what with???
Also, is it best to use a primer and what are/is the best brands to use?? Was thinking PJ1.

Would really appreciate some advice as I have never tried this before and I know it can be a bitch to get it to adhere if its not prepared right.

Cheers.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Re: prepping an engine for painting

Post by alextrx850 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm

All you would need is to take the gloss off the origional finish Billy..,that goes for anything ,alloy steel, plastic , we use a paste which is very mugh like JIFF or a stove top cleaner powder cleanser with the abrasive content...that,. with a scotch brite abrasive pad and work the recesses...my only caution would be to be sure the front of the motor with the stone strike areas are scoured well as old paint might be flakey...you guys in England might have oxidisation [ alloy rust]..which would need a good rub...
A good primer..is usefull for a quality finish as it will have a fill and flow quality that will benefit the top coat...assumeing you will use pressure cans...Big point is...dont use too much paint...just enough to cover..you will have stones impacting then corrosion underneath a thick paint flake...go out and chop a piece ot windscreen fluid line from your neighbours car ..trim and push over the chrome case bolts to protect easily from the spray...if you have neighbours on both sides, you then can have a piece for later as well.... :lol:
As for the paint...an auto repair supply outlet would have a good one rather than a basic cash and carry...enjoy

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 pm

When I did mine recently, I stripped it down to a bare engine then degreased with some Muck-off engine cleaner, then a swill, then a wash then a swill etc.

Then I gave the cases a gently hand sand with some fine wet-and-dry just to give the paint a key. then another wash to get the dust off.

There were a few places which needed a more vigorous sand, round the front where stones had chipped it.

Then I masked off the cables/pipes and other bits and used blu-tak to push into some bits I didnt want painting, like round the base of the clutch lever.

Then I painted with PJ1 satin black. This is really good paint. Dont need an undercoat and dont need to heat up the engine after to cure the paint. Not cheap though.

I had the engine out and supported on a bar through the holes at the front at the bottom of the cylinders, and resting on axle stands, so I could rotate it right forwards to paint the underside bits.

With the painting, use thin fast strokes and layer them, to stop it running.

Good luck.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 am

I used oven cleaner on a 750 Zephyr lump then jetwash then painted with PJ1, looked great. Read in Practical Sportsbike that oven cleaner not such a good idea (my mate's brainwave, not his bike obviously!)

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 am

Lots of handy hints here...another is to use aluninium foil..better if it is stolen from the kitchen cupboard...tear a sheet off and wrap it around the area or part you want to mask off...ever try to get a masked off pipe or wireing loom clean from tape....the alloy sheet will scrunch on and wont move ....we use it in engine bays.
looks like christmas as well
And like trixy said...spray on lightly and layer it on..dont pile it on as a run will happen.

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Cant thank you guys enough for all of your very handy hints, would be screwed without this place.

Still about a week away from starting this job, depending on when my missus goes into labour which is due soon, but I will report back with what will hopefully be good progress!

Cheers again.

schmiffee
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by schmiffee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm

billy budge wrote:....depending on when my missus goes into labour which is due soon....
Congrats =D>
Understeer - when you hit the fence with the front of the bike.
Oversteer - when you hit the fence with the rear of the bike.
Horsepower - how fast you hit the fence.
Torque - how far you take the fence with you.

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Many thanks my friend....sleep is overrated anyway!!! :cry: #-o

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 am

depending on when my missus goes into labour which is due soon
Let us know who did it Billy and we'll get the bugger for you!

:D

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 pm

The investigation is on going mate!!!! :lol:

Just back to the paint subject for a mo, is one can of the PJ1 paint enough to do the TRX engine?? Im not doing the cases as I have polished them along with the oil pipe. 8)

And.....do you know anyone who officially stocks the stuff over here as I would like to get hold of some of their porcelain based frame paint, being from states I can only find the engine or the exhaust paint and nowt else.

Ta.

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Fri May 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello chums, got a bit of a dilemma with the painting of my engine and wondered if someone could help me please.

Was using fast thin strokes as advised but the can of PJ1 just dont like to flow smoothly, unfortunately I have a run mark on the oil pump cover and I dont know what the best way is to get rid of it.

Any tips please??

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm

I had a couple of runs in the clear coat when I sprayed my bike. I sanded out the run with p1500 then buffed it to a shine. The trick is when you are painting, if you get a run to add extra paint to the area so when you sand back you dont go back through the paint.

that said, as it is just on the oil pump cover might be easier to take it off, sand it back and paint it again
Paul

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks buddy for the sound advice. Will take the bugger off once i have done a bit more and sand it back.

Much appreciated. 8)

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Fri May 11, 2012 3:35 pm

also, keep the can of paint somewhere warm inside until you want to use it and regularly invert it and spray to clear the nozzle.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:15 pm

trixynut wrote:also, keep the can of paint somewhere warm inside until you want to use it and regularly invert it and spray to clear the nozzle.
Unless the ambient temp is 20c + (so not very often in the UK) I put rattle cans in warm water for 10 minutes - works a treat ;)