ah canny do a skid

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

ah canny do a skid

Post by bagmaker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:43 am

time for a new rear tyre, currently running a pilot 2, too sticky really cause I cant loose it no matter what.
So, what is available that is a little bit harder?

thanks,
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot

Dav
Site Sponsor

Re: ah canny do a skid

Post by Dav » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 am

You should be able to break traction with PR2s...I can do it on my Versys with PR2s (into and out of corners), doing it on a trx should be a breeze. Or...apply chain lube to your tyre :lol:
(please don't do the last bit) 8)

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 am

try bolting on some FCR's and opening the exhaust
laughter is the best medicine

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 am

bagmaker wrote:time for a new rear tyre, currently running a pilot 2, too sticky really cause I cant loose it no matter what.
So, what is available that is a little bit harder?

thanks,
is that not a good thing?

why the fuk would you want a shit hard tyre that risks a crash?

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I am not really worried if it breaks loose when I am really trying - I am expecting it to- but the mich pilot 2 is a very good tyre and it just wont, not in the dry anyhow.
So I would rather a slightly harder hoop that will wear longer. If I skid a bit when pushing it thats OK, at the moment the tyre is stronger than me or the engine.
Notable is wear, I have tread on the middle but nearly slick from the edges in - no chicken strips.
Most of my riding is tight turns, not much touring, I am not compromising the front. I dont consider this unsafe.

The shop guru will just sell me the latest and greatest but doesnt actually know the difference in compounds when it comes to most tyres - hoping someone here does.
those who can count
and those who cannot

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:18 am

bagmaker wrote:I am not really worried if it breaks loose when I am really trying - I am expecting it to- but the mich pilot 2 is a very good tyre and it just wont, not in the dry anyhow.
So I would rather a slightly harder hoop that will wear longer. If I skid a bit when pushing it thats OK, at the moment the tyre is stronger than me or the engine.
Notable is wear, I have tread on the middle but nearly slick from the edges in - no chicken strips.
Most of my riding is tight turns, not much touring, I am not compromising the front. I dont consider this unsafe.

The shop guru will just sell me the latest and greatest but doesnt actually know the difference in compounds when it comes to most tyres - hoping someone here does.
I really am at a loss as to why you would want to eek a few extra miles out of a tyre to save a few quid when it is the only contact patch you have and your riding is mainly in the twisties.

Anyhow, you need to be looking at sports touring / touring tyres if you want more life but most of the better ones are dual compound so that will not help you - in fact you may wear through them even quicker.

You shoud be able to get a decent deal on Bridgetsone 021s (although I personally hate them) or Pirelli Diablo Stradas

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 am

And Continental Motions are getting good reviews and seem to last forever.

But then again so do SV650s ;)

k0no
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by k0no » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:57 pm

sorry to necro this thread, but i feel moved to ask... what is bagman wanting exactly?

surely having nice sticky tyres is exactly what you want?

i've always been of the opinion that tyres you can trust to keep good traction (given a decent road surface) are perhaps the most important factor in keeping your organs on the inside of your body. i mean they are your only contact with the road below you. (this is simplified of course. suspension is pretty key here, but tyres are the final physical limiting factor in terms of grip)

i always tell my new-biker friends "stickier is better" although admittedly there is a cost-factor so many people go for touring tyres.

even so, Bagman's comments confuse me somewhat. surely being grippy is what we want? and would sports/touring tyres actually last longer?

roareruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by roareruk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

went through a pilot 2 in 800 miles if you cant get the back end to break away your either not leaning or giving it enough

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:39 am

my reasons are simple, grip is funamentally expensive.
I am paying (i am a tightarse) for a top-notch tyre suiting an R1 or 1098 flame-thrower and I am wearing it away on 80hp of gentlemanly transport.
I dont mind the back doing a little dance every now and again because -lets face it- if it breaks out on a TRX you are fully expecting it to. Your right wrist is at the limit and you are cranking the bank angle too. No other way it will let loose.

If I can save a few bucks and buy something that will last longer it would be a good thing.
I got a battlax on now and its OK, not as good as the mich was. It will slither a bit but wont catch anyone off-gaurd. Its still an expensive tyre, I would be happy to go down another peg.
those who can count
and those who cannot

roareruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by roareruk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 pm

running pirreli diablos at the min and they seem to be lasting decent grip too