Front disc bolts.

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

kevj
TRX-Enthusiast

Front disc bolts.

Post by kevj » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Does anyone know if any other Yamaha models use the same bolts for the front discs as the TRX? I have ruined some of the original ones trying to get them off yesterday!!! Why didn't the person who fitted them put some copper ease on them? arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!!!!! :x

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Re: Front disc bolts.

Post by trixynut » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:54 pm

You shouldnt really use copper grease on disc bolts. If anything, you should go the other way and use loctite. But its well known that standard disc bols are made of cheese. A good-fitting allen socket drive helps.
Theres a few companies on ebay who do all sorts of stainless bolts, including disc bolts. Or try tastynuts or Kayla on the forum does some trick ones.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:14 pm

kevj wrote:Does anyone know if any other Yamaha models use the same bolts for the front discs as the TRX? I have ruined some of the original ones trying to get them off yesterday!!! Why didn't the person who fitted them put some copper ease on them? arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!!!!! :x

A small craft blowtorch or butane soldering iron played on the heads to get some heat in to them often frees them off nicely but yes, technically it should be low strength loctite or similar used on the threads to limit the chances of them loosening off when the discs expand and contract in use. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Mincehead wrote:
kevj wrote:Does anyone know if any other Yamaha models use the same bolts for the front discs as the TRX? I have ruined some of the original ones trying to get them off yesterday!!! Why didn't the person who fitted them put some copper ease on them? arrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!!!!! :x

A small craft blowtorch or butane soldering iron played on the heads to get some heat in to them often frees them off nicely but yes, technically it should be low strength loctite or similar used on the threads to limit the chances of them loosening off when the discs expand and contract in use. :wink:
As for which bolts to use, you can use ANY M8 x 1.25 pitch bolts of the right length, preferably button head in high tensile steel or A2 stainless.
If you wanted you could use star drive / splined head varients rather than embroched hexagon (allen) headed types. It would be nice to see disc bolts made with a raised hexagon say 10 mm x 8 mm high, that way a decent socket could be used and rounding out of the internal hexagon would never be an issue.
I`ve used normal hex head bolts / set screws before now, simply because they are easier to undo in the future and don`t look too nasty in polished stainless.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

kevj
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kevj » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks trixynut. I know not to use copper ease on disc bolts but it would stopped me from nearly destroying my palms if they would of put some on the blots :wink:. I have used "probolt" before through ebay to buy a full set of engine bolts, rear sprocket nut and stearing head nut all in blue. Their prices were very reasonalble (not that my wife thought the same) and everything I have had of them is top quality but they are asking alot of money for 12 bolts. I think I might have to have one of those moments whilst ebay when my finger slips and I end up pressing " confirm payment". I have been doing that alot lately and when I asked my doctor he said that there is no cure for it :lol:

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 pm

NOOOOOO Pro Bolt are rip off artists, here you go, choose the length you want:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 am

So what's the right dimensions? M8 x 1.25 x 25mm?
Places like Mr Stainless (Drummoyne, Sydney) have them in a box of 100 for $39.00 in 304 grade stainless.
Gotta change mine over cos when I put the new discs on I used mild steel and although they work well, they look crap and rusty.

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Is A2 stainless ok or should you be using A4?
Paul

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Pro bolt list 25mm long as Yamaha fitment, 316 being the grade they use, A2 is the same as 304 and A4 is 316 so, A4 would be the preferred grade to use:

http://www.pro-bolt.com/media/wysiwyg/M ... cation.pdf

Their TRX listing for the 18 bolt kit and their exorbitant price!

http://www.pro-bolt.com/stainless-steel ... -x-19.html

A stainless specs guide:

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=1

In respect of the above here`s some M8 x 25 mm long A4 button head`s listed on Ebay, at a more `realistic` price that Pro-Bolts TRX kit. Obviously that`s for ten so you would need to order two to get 20 bolts and have two left over after fitting them to the discs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8x25mm-A4-St ... 230f287c14
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:38 pm

I've used these-

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... win%20bolt

to remove rounded out allen bolts, and an oversize Torx bit in an impact driver works well too :D

I use a blowtorch on the bolt heads to help break any corrosion and soften any Loctite that might be in there, but if it's red Loctite you need a lot of heat and a lot of patience. You can also weld a nut onto the bolt head and use a spanner or socket to loosen the bolt.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:58 pm

I personally never use thread lock on ANYTHING - copper slip is fine on disc bolts but i do check them regularly just to be sure (never had one loosen yet) :wink:
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Origional Yamaha bolts are £1.65 each if memory serves, certainly cheaper than pattern one i bought from busters (which didn,nt match)

bagmaker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bagmaker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:36 pm

all,

It might be pedantic

but I have a problem using ANY stainless steel bolt in something like a brake disc mount, even the caliper mount.

The heat cycle of a disc brake is going to be detrimentle to the stainless over time, the metal will become brittle and fail.

Manufacturers use a plated, high tensile bolt here for good reason,

stay safe

bagger
there are only 3 types of people in the whole world
those who can count
and those who cannot