block change

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

block change

Post by billy budge » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Evening all

I will be changing my old buggered block for a decent second hand one very soon, I have already checked its vital signs and all dimensions are spot on.

I was just wondering if anyone can suggest any parts that are worth changing while im there, obviously I will being doing piston rings and gaskets etc, but im sure there are other bits to do also. The engine has only done 14-15,000 miles from new.

Cheers muchly.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: block change

Post by Mincehead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am

As it`s easy to get out while you are doing the engine work, check the cam chain and tensioner / blades too. TRX`s seem to be bug*ers for stretching cam chains within quite short mileages.
I think if my addled memory serves me correctly, another member posted somewhere the new `unstretched` length of a cam chain here on the forum.
I think the number of links and type are quoted in the downloads section but not certain if an overall length is given.
Easy enough to measure a new one, just use a piece of string laid along it as the cam chain is a hyvo / endless type. :wink:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/TRX_ ... Chain_DID/

You `may` find them cheaper if they are other makes but DID is a good quality chain.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:25 pm

You may find it doesn't need rings but as Mince has said, while you've got it stripped down that much you may as well check the cam chain / tensioner.

Other than that, you could check for any slop on the crank bearings and damage to the cams. Valve clearances are a given.

I personally would also have a look at the oil tank - you'll be amazed how much sludge builds up in there.

That should keep you busy ;)

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks men for the info, most helpful. Thanks heaps.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?