rebuild v r6 shock

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: rebuild v r6 shock

Post by phuk72 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:00 pm

drmac wrote:its quite funny ,people who have fitted the r6 shock generally rave about it but people who haven't seems scared of change , it cost me about £100 (£60 shock and £40 adaptor) so im a happy man. i wouldnt waste money on a hagon or nitro as you can do a lot of mods for the price they charge for a shock. if you rebuild a trx shock its still 10 years + old design with worn parts . Anyway we should be trying to help Kayla's Sales :lol:
Funny how people don't compare like with like.

You are comparing a brand new (or virtually new) shock with one which is completely fuk't. Of course it is going to feel better.

The age of a shock is irrelevant if it is rebuilt - it's not as if shock design ha changed much over the last 50 years.

The point I am making is that it is surely better to have a shcok rebuilt to your weight than buy another generic shock. After all, if the R6 shocj was any good, racers would be using them rather than selling them for £50 on ebay ;)

For me, I have spent the most money of any modifcations on sorting out my suspension - that's what really makes you go faster and I would never ever regard buying quality suspension components as as waste of money. In fact, I can't think of any better mod to spend my money on.

Just my 2p.

drmac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by drmac » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:15 pm

I agreed that its best you upgrade the suspension first before any other mods ,

So if you buy a r6 shock and a adaptor and then...............................

pay for mct to mod it to you weight/riding style you get the best shock you can get for under £250. Perfect :D

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:21 am

hmmm...my fazer has a wilbers rear shock, and maxton reworked r1 forks, and it is brilliant. however, its very expensive.

If you want to upgrade your bike but don't want to spend a fortune then I think the R6 shock route is a winner. It is undoubtedly a better quality item with 10 years technology advantage over the original item.

It may not be as good as buying an aftermarket item, but i certainly believe its going to be better than the standard thing, even if it is rebuilt.

The owners of them are very happy, the detractors in this thread have not actually got one, so are speculating really (no offense)

When I get this one setup on my trx I will be able to make a direct comparison.

Actually I have rode the R6 that these shocks came from and thought the bike was completely planted.

I am sure R6 shock upgrade is definitely that - an upgrade.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:51 pm

so true..variety is the spice of life... :wink: nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat
laughter is the best medicine

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 pm

is your bike a goer

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:08 pm

For what it's worth, and I appreciate I have kind of a vested interest given that I sell the adapters (but I don't have a patent on them and anyone with a few hours spare and the tools to make one can do so), I think the R6 shock is very good. For £100 (or thereabouts) you can get a nearly new (or actually new in some cases) shock to replace a knackered old one which will be as good, if not better than a rebuilt standard one (you're only rebuilding it remember, not paying for a rebuild, respring and revalve). If you care to spend a little more you can send the R6 shock away to have it revalved to suit you, with a new spring, and it'll be better than a Hagon or 'budget' Nitron (which have the compression and rebound adjustment on the same adjuster, so you have to change both at the same time.)

Given the choice between a NOS (fresh, new oil and seals and that) standard TRX shock and an R6 shock, it's no competition :D

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:54 am

say no more :lol: :lol:

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:24 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:is your bike a goer
My bike? not exactly, waiting on the engine to come back from welding before I make a start on it.

I don't expect it to take too long.