Progress........Finished bike pics added

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Progress........Finished bike pics added

Post by phuk72 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:25 pm

The TRX gearbox is certainly not smooth when compared to modern IL4s but I've never had any problems and all my shifts have been postive. And FWIW virtually all of my upshifts are clutchless

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I've never had an issue with the TRX box itself - just the ratios. Nothing wrong with gearbox IMO.
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:57 am

SDN wrote: I find the TRX gearbox very clunky and slow, it requires slow and positive gear changes and on a few occaisions has induced a change of underpants when it dropped out of 2nd into neutral, removing all drive and engine braking.

You suddenly realise how important having drive engaged is to cornering - heresy - but Suzuki / Honda / Kawasaki G.boxes I have used have never felt this crude
I get this as well, I just thought it was poor technique on my part... Ususlly it's when I go from 2nd to 1st though, not specifically jumping out of second.

Bloody scary when you're coming into a corner with a little brake & relying on the engine braking to wash off some speed :shock:

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 am

M.V. wrote:
SDN wrote: I find the TRX gearbox very clunky and slow, it requires slow and positive gear changes and on a few occaisions has induced a change of underpants when it dropped out of 2nd into neutral, removing all drive and engine braking.

You suddenly realise how important having drive engaged is to cornering - heresy - but Suzuki / Honda / Kawasaki G.boxes I have used have never felt this crude
I get this as well, I just thought it was poor technique on my part... Ususlly it's when I go from 2nd to 1st though, not specifically jumping out of second.

Bloody scary when you're coming into a corner with a little brake & relying on the engine braking to wash off some speed :shock:
Mine works a lot better in "race pattern", been riding with 1st gear up for years...guess i´m more firm pressing down rather than having foot under lever...!?

Stankflapper
TRX-Enthusiast
Location: Australia. Land of Cold beer & Bitchy women, and fast bikes!

Post by Stankflapper » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:37 pm

phuk72 wrote:The TRX gearbox is certainly not smooth when compared to modern IL4s but I've never had any problems and all my shifts have been postive. And FWIW virtually all of my upshifts are clutchless
On my other bikes I have noticed a difference in shifting just by the brand of oil I am using in the box. I have now switched to a Castol GP1 and never seem to find a false neutral, but do have smoother changes.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

:? False neutrals tell me my chain needs adjusting!! once sorted no more false neutrals!

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 am

Very good pal of mine & tuning supremo Craig Taylor @ Dyno Torque who did all the tuning work on my bike has run a feature including full spec of the bike on his website - take a look:

http://www.dynotorque.co.uk/?p=249

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 pm

STUNNING, a credit to a very competant builder and nice bloke. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Very good bloke and talented mechanic - is Craig just very busy and difficult to pin down to a job

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 pm

He's just extremely busy (popular) the car building projects pretty much take up all of his time - he usually has around four or five full race car builds on the go all year round & they all take alot of time as he fabricates everything to make the V8's etc fit - including full systems, intercoolers the lot! Talented bloke, but doesn't have as much time free these days - i'm very lucky he's a mate 8)

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Mincehead wrote:STUNNING, a credit to a very competant builder and nice bloke. :wink:
Thanks Mince :thumbleft:

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:32 pm

NWS870R wrote:Very good pal of mine & tuning supremo Craig Taylor @ Dyno Torque who did all the tuning work on my bike has run a feature including full spec of the bike on his website - take a look:

http://www.dynotorque.co.uk/?p=249
Looks great, you've done a very good job, very inspiring.

Only thing missing from the article was POWWWAAAAAAAHHHH!...& torque.

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:42 am

With the weight loss peak power wasn't the chasing point to be honest, just a useable lightweight package. I've got higher peak power readings on the dyno (for bragging rights?) by using different settings, no filtration, TPS mod, etc, but all screwed the low to mid range power in one way or another so i stuck with the following:

Power: 91.8 bhp @ rear wheel
Torque: 67ftlb
Compression: 12.5:1

I can post higher peak power figures but can't see the point when this is the set up i'll be using? Besides, the torque figure speaks for itself! :D

Haven't tried the blue bellmouths on the FCR's yet but probably will to see if turbulance is an issue on the carb inlets?

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:15 am

M.V. wrote:

i get the same sometimes if i rush the shift, so i load the lever slightly before the shift and i get a positive change.
Factory Pro make a shift detent arm with a roller bearing instead of a solid bush. They claim it reduces missed shifts considerably.
not expensive, but you need to supply the cover gasket as it is a generic fit over a few models (lucky us!).
its on my to do list.
cheers
fung
8)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST