Problems with Dynojet kit

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

amiciangelo
TRX-Enthusiast

Problems with Dynojet kit

Post by amiciangelo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi, I used the search function, but have not found the answer to my problems :roll: :roll: . I installed the Dynojet stage 3 kit for the TDM 850, but I have carburetion problems :evil: :evil: . I saw that on the particulars of that exists for the TRX Dynojet kit stage 1 and only 'correct? Do you know how I can resolve the carburetor? I installed the K & N Filters RU-0800 and the exhaust manifolds are original and have approved silencers (Marving street legal).

P.S.: Sorry for my english! [-o< [-o< [-o<

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Problems with Dynojet kit

Post by Mincehead » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:10 pm

What is happening, the symptoms of the problem?
Can you explain how the bike is running now, if at all?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

amiciangelo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by amiciangelo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:30 pm

The problems I have are related to irregularities' operating between 4000 and 5000 rpm, that 'is not smooth at 2000 rpm and is "drowning" (do not know if you say so'!) and I also wanted to know if the kit Dynojet Stage 3 for the TDM was correct! :roll:

zednine
Site Sponsor

Post by zednine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 am

I cant help with the carb problems but dont apologise for your english ........... its loads better than my italian :)

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 am

I haven't used the Dyno Jet kit, does the needle have a movable clip? If it does, try raising it up or down & see if the problem gets better or worse.

Unfortunately, without a Dyno, carb tuning is very much trial & error.

See here for some tips:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_tun ... rbtun.html

Use the High RPM tuning guide.

Hope that helps!

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 am

OK, a few words of wisdom from me (resisting teh temptation to ask why you are using a TDM kit on a TRX and attempting this if you don't know what you are doing :wink: )

Stage 3 kits are usually reserved for seriously tuned engines - so you may have the wrong / an inapprpriate kit (they only did a stage 1 kit for the TRX).

Open filters and CV carbs are not the best of combinations - CV carbs like still air and it is hard to set them up correctly. You can do it but .....

No TRX is smooth at 2000rpm - most will not pull cleanly (or at all) below 3000rpm

Although TRXs generally run rich as standard (assume it was all ok before you put the DJ kit in?) using open end cans and free flowing filters will lean up the mixture and this may need to be compensated for with jetting. As has been said, you can raise of lower the needle which may compensate a bit but probably not solve.

Best advice I can give is to get it onto the dyno

amiciangelo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by amiciangelo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice :D . Phunk72 So you advise me to install the stage 1 kit for the TRX 850 with single filters or with the original airbox? However, I mounted the stage 3 Dynojet kit of TDM 'cause I thought the engine was the same! This week I feel the bike on the dyno with the kit Stage 3 of the TDM, then you will see 'if you change the kit stage 1 of the TRX. Sorry for the OT, but approved silencers would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 am

amiciangelo wrote:Thanks to everyone for the advice :D . Phunk72 So you advise me to install the stage 1 kit for the TRX 850 with single filters or with the original airbox? However, I mounted the stage 3 Dynojet kit of TDM 'cause I thought the engine was the same! This week I feel the bike on the dyno with the kit Stage 3 of the TDM, then you will see 'if you change the kit stage 1 of the TRX. Sorry for the OT, but approved silencers would you recommend? Thanks for the help.
I have had very good results with a Stage 1 kit and the airbox and no experience (with a TRX) of pod filters on CV carbs so I may not be the best person to ask. I'm sure you can make it work with a Stage 3 kit and pod filters but you will probably need to spend some time on a dyno having it set up.

Also, I can't offer any help on approved silencers as all of my TRX's have had full race pipes.

amiciangelo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by amiciangelo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Phuk72 Thanks for the advice :D , if I'll have no 'answers, I'll' like you :wink: ! No one else has installed the TDM 850 Dynojet Kit Stage 3 on the TRX 850 with individual filters 8-[ ? And if so, how did you do :roll: ?

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm

phuk72 wrote:OK, a few words of wisdom from me (resisting teh temptation to ask why you are using a TDM kit on a TRX and attempting this if you don't know what you are doing :wink: )

Stage 3 kits are usually reserved for seriously tuned engines - so you may have the wrong / an inapprpriate kit (they only did a stage 1 kit for the TRX).

Open filters and CV carbs are not the best of combinations - CV carbs like still air and it is hard to set them up correctly. You can do it but .....

No TRX is smooth at 2000rpm - most will not pull cleanly (or at all) below 3000rpm

Although TRXs generally run rich as standard (assume it was all ok before you put the DJ kit in?) using open end cans and free flowing filters will lean up the mixture and this may need to be compensated for with jetting. As has been said, you can raise of lower the needle which may compensate a bit but probably not solve.

Best advice I can give is to get it onto the dyno
good advice there phuc..as the fuel mixtures are critical...my trx runns a stage 3 kit ..but with the needle at the lowest setting , that setting with the V2 cams and an OVER size type Yoshimura twin system,seems to be very happy..ps i mostly run the motor around 3000rpm on the open road..what ever gear to situation..a little lumpy in city traffic-wants to go... :arrow:

amiciangelo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by amiciangelo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:18 am

So I'll try 'with the Dynojet kit TRX 850 Stage 1 :roll: , but do you recommend to mount the original airbox or K & N individual filters fit? :roll:

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:10 pm

amiciangelo wrote:So I'll try 'with the Dynojet kit TRX 850 Stage 1 :roll: , but do you recommend to mount the original airbox or K & N individual filters fit? :roll:
with the origional exhaust. i would remove the air box INLET snorkle and fit the K&N filter...you are pretty much restricted by the exhaust that you have...[what goes in better has to go OUT better as well]...find a quality set of spark plugs and a quality oil and filter...inflate the tyres well and oil the chain and you wont get a better set up......otherwise SPEND money...

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm

alextrx850 wrote:
amiciangelo wrote:So I'll try 'with the Dynojet kit TRX 850 Stage 1 :roll: , but do you recommend to mount the original airbox or K & N individual filters fit? :roll:
with the origional exhaust. i would remove the air box INLET snorkle and fit the K&N filter...you are pretty much restricted by the exhaust that you have...[what goes in better has to go OUT better as well]...find a quality set of spark plugs and a quality oil and filter...inflate the tyres well and oil the chain and you wont get a better set up......otherwise SPEND money...
+1

unless you are going to spend money on the dyno, my opinion would be to use the standard aribox. Lots will tell you about drilling holes in teh box but I wouldn't do that either.

You can flow more air by removing the foam, cutting off the snorkel and putting a spacer under the tank to lift it up a few mil

taxi1963wr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by taxi1963wr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:12 am

Hello guys i am a new member to this site
Just reading about your problems with dyno jet
Had the same troubel my self switched over to
Factory pro kit from usa heaps better
My bike is running k&n fillter with quill evo 2 from uk