Rear Brake Calipers

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

hjp1968
TRX-Enthusiast

Rear Brake Calipers

Post by hjp1968 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi
Does anyone know which other rear calipers fit the standard setup?
Thanks
New Blog Page at - www.bikerblog.org.uk

highlander
Site Sponsor

Re: Rear Brake Calipers

Post by highlander » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:22 pm

I'll bump this thread because I also want to know - getting a good rear brake should be as/more important than front brake because the front is used far less unless your riding style is 'aggressive'. I used to use front a lot more but after concerted mental adjustment (both senses) find engine braking on a twin plus GOOD rear brake is smoother.

Again R1/YZF/Fazer blue spot rear caliper a direct fit?

I'm going to get flamed for this I reckon ... :twisted:
Projection Racing 2-1 with Akropovic hex carbon can, Keihin FCRs @ 150 main, R6 shock conversion, 520 chain conversion, Ignitech ignition, Li-po battery. Further weight reduction & front suspension in progress ....

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Pretty sure any blue spot rear WONT fit directly without machining the holder and maybe a new torque arm too.

YZF750 fits I think, but thats because its the exact same as the TRX one as Yamaha-san like to interchange parts to keep costs down. Uses the same torque arm and swinger (with added bracing) as the TRX too.

So, whats wrong with the standard caliper then? properly bled and with a braided line, I think its fine.........?

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:34 am

Blue spot rear will only fit with a different carrier - torque arm however can be utilised depending on the angle/desired position of caliper?

I'll be the first to disagree - rear braking is neither more important & definately not smoother, you simply will not scrub off enough speed using the rear alone if you are a rider of 'reasonable' pace. When you combine the engine braking of a twin & excessive use of the rear brake you will acheive only one thing - locking the rear, not pretty. I use my rear brake only in traffic & to steady the bike in faster turns if unsettled (by dragging only) the rest of the time i don't touch it.
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

highlander
Site Sponsor

Post by highlander » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm

trixynut wrote: So, whats wrong with the standard caliper then? properly bled and with a braided line, I think its fine.........?
Well eveyone seems to rate upgrading the front to blue spots, it would follow there's possibly a similar improvement to be had at the back. First step is definitely braided hose, possibly new pads and then see if it feels lacking. Or lacking feel!

Phew, nearly got a fit of trouth-mubbles at the end there!
Projection Racing 2-1 with Akropovic hex carbon can, Keihin FCRs @ 150 main, R6 shock conversion, 520 chain conversion, Ignitech ignition, Li-po battery. Further weight reduction & front suspension in progress ....

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 am

in general :
The fronts do most of the work with the rear for stability and slow speed stuff.

the front brake will stand you up in a corner and the rear will pull you in to a corner.

Set your line for the corner ahead then try to scrub off speed with the fronts whilst upright before entering the corner.
Release the fronts gently and squeeze the rear a little simultaneously, trail your rear brake gently to stabilise the rear through the first third of the corner, release slowly and throttle on out.

speed up or slow down the complete process to suit.

...bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes till golden brown :D :D

cheers
fung
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

highlander
Site Sponsor

Post by highlander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Just asked Kayla if she'd make up a blue spot bracket for me ... mine needs pads, seals and paint. Be as well buying a 2nd hand R1 spot if I can get a bracket to match the front.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:42 pm

I have a caliper from a TDM 900, which I may try and use, although not too sure yet as it looks very big.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 am

I will bump this thread, has anyone swapped the rear calliper?

Mine seizes frequently and while I have ordered new pistons and seals I am curious if it is a common problem due to the position on the calliper (where it can pick up lots of crud). If new pistons and seals dont fix it I will be looking for a replacement
Paul

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm not sure what bumping is :oops: :oops: as I'm not to good with computers and lingo. :lol:
But I am also interested in this as my rear caliper needs a rebuild and would also be interested in a sexier option if one exists.
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 pm

I've got an R1 blue spot on mine. relatively easy to fit if you have got access to a lathe ;)

Otherwise old shape fazer 600 and fazer 1000 calipers fit but i woudln't bother - a common mod (as I've done on mine) is to fit a TRX caliper!

BUT ... As has been said, there is nothing wrong with the standard rear with a braided hose and properly bled.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:00 pm

:oops: After it seized up through lack of use, I occassionally use it for slow speed stops, an original TRX caliper,with braided hose, and I can lock the rear up no problem with it. Is it just a bling factor that you need to change, or is it completely stuffed?

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:34 pm

For me its just to have a caliper that wont seize at the sniff of rain.

Like i say i have vew pistons and seals on the way so hopefully that will sort it but if not i will be looking at a new one, sounds like its not too common an issue based on searching the forum.

It is possible that the inside of my calliper body is damaged as the pistons look like the were attacked with a multigrips and if a previous owner did that to the pistons god knows what else he could have done!

Other reason could be the rear master but i dismantled a rebuilt a while back and it all looked good
Paul