"Abandoned in North London"-The Rebuild Thread

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

scarfacehugo
TRX-Enthusiast

"Abandoned in North London"-The Rebuild Thread

Post by scarfacehugo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Here we go...

Like I've written in my intro, I got this from a friend who had it outside it's garage for a long time. He doenst know much about it, but says it's got a knocking engine. From the times I used to work with XTZs, TDMs I remember these having quite an appetite for oil , and if you were one of those "I'll leave the bike warming up on the side stand while I close the garage gate" with low oil level, lubrication would fail on one of the con rods and slowly chew it away. Usually the right hand one, if I'm not mistaken. This is the reason I've always prefered Africa Twins to XTZs

Anyway, I've always liked TRXs and this is my go at one! Que sera, sera

Still outside the garage

Brakes were completely seized. I'm guessing the forks are full with water, so new front end with calipers will have to be fitted.

After being washed 3 times

I've found so fa that there's rust inside the tank, the starter cut off relay is dead (waiting for the replacement) and the carbs are really looking bad. I've now learned from my previous rebuild and I wont be spending sh... loads of money in this. I do have access to lots of non-TRX used parts, so this should be an interesting project to follow.

I'm looking for a decent rider's "back rest" and a spark plug cap if anyone's got spares?

Mincehead left a good tip about using ketchup on carbs? Does it really work?

Anyway, I'd like to thank you in advance for all the help you'll be giving me to rebuild this. Cheers|

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Re: "Abandoned in North London"-The Rebuild Thread

Post by trixynut » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Whats that shock? Not a standard one: whats with the red and blue 'buttons'?

Loads of us have got bits kicking around available at forum prices :wink: so just shout.

I've got some standard good condition front calipers plus a wiring loom plus indicators plus levers, front brake pump, back brake pump, switchgear, clipons, fuel tap, fuel pump and other stuff.....

You've noticed the radiator brackets are missing, yes? Buth I guess thats the least of your problems :D

Keep the pics coming....

Dave.

scarfacehugo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by scarfacehugo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 pm

trixynut wrote:Whats that shock? Not a standard one: whats with the red and blue 'buttons'?

It's a Techno Flex shock. Hi and low speed compression adjustment. Rebound adjustment is at the base of the shock.
I doubt it works :)

Thank you kindly for your offers. I'll keep it in mind according to what I'll find in the near future.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:03 am

OF COURSE kethup works, gotta be that cheap and nasty stuff though, Heinz is too sweet. It`s the acidity from the vinegar that does the job.Try it and see, you`ll be happy with the results and it`s a very cheap way of cleaning oxidation from alloys. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Tomato sauce and a rag for alu, alfoil and coke for chrome.
Both work, and both still astound me to this day.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Usually the LEFT big end goes - so not caused by idling on the sidetand 8) Never been a fan of this warming up whilst stationary malarky - just ride it 'til the temp gauge moves before giving it some load.......................................

Best of on the rebuild......................
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

scarfacehugo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by scarfacehugo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm very happy I joined this forum. I've rebuilt a 78 bike with an engine full of water and NEVER heard of vinager and ketchup as workshop tools.

Step 1:

I'm originally from a place where food is still made from scratch and the ingredients are very important, therefore I would never use this stuff for cooking, but today I had the pleasure of being asked "What the f#$k are you doing?" when the wife saw me with these. :P AHHH LOOOOOVELLY!!!

"Stay tuned!"

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Sainsbury`s basic?
That`s posh where I`m from!
Get the real nasty stuff from a cash and carry, you get a gallon for about two quid.You really wouldn`t want it on your chips though, unless it was an emergency. :wink:
It tends to bring your toungue out in sensative little bumps it`s that acidic. :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

scarfacehugo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by scarfacehugo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Mincehead wrote:Sainsbury`s basic?
That`s posh where I`m from!
Get the real nasty stuff from a cash and carry, you get a gallon for about two quid.You really wouldn`t want it on your chips though, unless it was an emergency. :wink:
It tends to bring your toungue out in sensative little bumps it`s that acidic. :lol:

Posh!?!?! 30p a bottle?? Dont worry, I'll throw some extra vinegar and battery acid if I have to :D

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 am

Man, I thought my TRX was in bad nick when I got it...

Still, good to see a bit of Wheeler Dealer action on the old girl! Good luck with it.

scarfacehugo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by scarfacehugo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Opened the carbs today and they look brand new inside. Cant say the same about the outside though.

Left the carbs overnight in Basics ketchup. Anyway, I hope this ketchup thing isnt one of those newby jokes... I've got friends in low places :^o so that you know.

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 pm

scarfacehugo wrote:Anyway, I hope this ketchup thing isnt one of those newby jokes... I've got friends in low places :^o so that you know.
Noooooo - don't say that - you're giving them ideas now!!!!!!!!!!! #-o
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

The ketchup will work, unless items are greasy then that stops the acidity working. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Jak wrote:
scarfacehugo wrote:Anyway, I hope this ketchup thing isnt one of those newby jokes... I've got friends in low places :^o so that you know.
Noooooo - don't say that - you're giving them ideas now!!!!!!!!!!! #-o

Hehe...now there's a thought.

Chip shop curry sauce is brilliant for cleaning/flushing your radiator.

Honest :^o

Welcome to the forum - you're gonna be busy for a while with that one, we bought one similar recently & took about 2 months to get half decent with 2 of us working till the early hours most evenings. Good luck with the project.
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 pm

And if you leave it in and go for a run down the pub it`ll save you buying the curry sauce for your chips on the way home too. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES