digital speedo fitting

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

edengreylag
TRX-Enthusiast

digital speedo fitting

Post by edengreylag » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Picked up a great wee koso speedometer and i'll be fitting it this week.Should i strip off the old wiring loom or simply cut the ends off my warning bulbs etc and connect them directly to the wiring on the new speedo?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: digital speedo fitting

Post by Mincehead » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 pm

All depends if you ever want to go back to standard or not.
Personally I would use connectors spliced into the wires and leave the unused terminal blocks/connectors just in case. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:49 am

....or make up some short converter leads. old plug one end new plug other end with about 5 cm in between.
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

edengreylag
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by edengreylag » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:47 pm

All fitted apart from the neutral .Apparently goes to foot stand unit to get the neutral reading if that makes sense.Another 2 hours mechanic labour saved when it goes for its final check and MOT!!!

edengreylag
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by edengreylag » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 pm

spent all day trying to get the neutral to work.The seller advised me to connect to the side stand switch.I tried on both wires that go down to the switch.One wire is dead an does not illuminate the green neutral.the other does light it up but stays green even when in gear.It must just be earthing the damned thing or something.Anyone any ideads ??????

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:00 am

edengreylag wrote:spent all day trying to get the neutral to work.The seller advised me to connect to the side stand switch.I tried on both wires that go down to the switch.One wire is dead an does not illuminate the green neutral.the other does light it up but stays green even when in gear.It must just be earthing the damned thing or something.Anyone any ideads ??????
Ah, yes. (I'm reading this after replying to your PM!)

It sounds like maybe the seller bodged around using a real neutral by using the sidestand cutout switch- the thinking being that if the stand's down, the bike is in neutral. Was the speedo being used on another TRX?

Track the wire down that illuminates the neutral light on the original idiot lights and use that. Is there a wire that comes out of the cases near the stator that's a neutral wire?

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

edengreylag
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by edengreylag » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:04 pm

getting the bike in for the fork seals,cam chain adjustment etc and the MOT this week so they can do this final speedo fitment too.My brains fried now lol.

rbaron25
Site Sponsor

Post by rbaron25 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

Bugger was going to fit a digital speedo but methinks I do not have the electrical nouse after reading the above.. except to fry all said components and bike... maybe local autoleccy then...
I didn't see you...
Cause you didn't bloody look!