Running on prime only

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

colinreynolds
TRX-Enthusiast

Running on prime only

Post by colinreynolds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Evening all... picked up my new (to me) 96 TRX about 3 weeks ago, loving it so far (used to big old Italian twins), apart from the fact that it doesn't run when the fuel tap is 'on' or 'reserve', only on prime. Can't remember if I rode it back from buying it like that, so don't know if the problem has just occurred. I've disturbed nothing (resisting the urge to fiddle). Fuel pump? Blocked fuel filter? Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Re: Running on prime only

Post by M.V. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 am

Hi Colin,

Congratulations on the bike, don't forget to post up some pics & introduce yourself, if you haven't already.

MY guess would be a vacuum problem, there are two vacuum lines running from the inlets, one goes to the fuel tap & the other to the fuel pump (I think...), that's the first place I would start.

If the one from the fuel tap is missing or cracked etc, your fuel tap won't open, I'd start with that one.

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 am

Spot on M.V, I agree with that advice. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

pbear62
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pbear62 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi there, Back in early '97 I'd had my first TRX for about a day when suddenly the same thing happened to me - would only run when on prime (pretty depressing at the time on a near new bike!! :cry: ) Turns out one of the hoses from the fuel tap (can't remember which one) had a plastic sleeve over it for some reason & this had beome crimped/bent which had in turn bent the hose too. Removed the plastic sleeve & all was happy again! :D :D Just check that all the hoses have nice flowing bends for good air & fuel flow.
Once you've had black - you'll never go back!

Bigamy is when you have one wife too many - Monogamy is the same!