suspension set up

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

suspension set up

Post by jjmoto » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:06 pm

any recommendations for suspension set up save me lots of fiddling about? got standard forks & shock i'm 5'8" 11 stone. cheers

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: suspension set up

Post by Killerwhale » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 pm

jjmoto wrote:any recommendations for suspension set up save me lots of fiddling about? got standard forks & shock i'm 5'8" 11 stone. cheers
Quite impossible to say as we now nothing about the wear and tare on your stuff.
...there are some really good manuals on setting sag etc. online though.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:32 am

If you've just bought the bike, my suggestion is to get your front fork springs replaced with the correct rate ones (should be around $200, a good suspension tech will help you there), replace the fork oil, then return all the settings to standard & go from there.

Rear shock might need a going over & freshening, depending on how old the bikes is...

Or: take it to an expert. That''l be expensive.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm

jjmoto wrote:any recommendations for suspension set up save me lots of fiddling about? got standard forks & shock i'm 5'8" 11 stone. cheers
Bin them :lol: I'm here all week...

There's not a lot you can do with the forks, the damping is either on or off despite there being four clicks on the adjusters. I'm 5'8" and about 10 stone and I had the rebound set on the second click and the preload was one line in from standard (I think!) The shock was set to the standard damping settings and one click harder on the preload from standard. Then I fitted shorter dogbones to raise the rear and get more feel from the front end. Then I fitted Thundercat forks. Then I fitted Thunderace forks and an R6 shock... 8)

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.