Dog Bones

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Poida
TRX-Enthusiast

Dog Bones

Post by Poida » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Hello, Have recently purchased a TRX850, have looked around the forum and noticed a thread or two about changing the length of the dog bones (rear suspension) to raise the back to make the bike turn a bit better.

Having access to a laser cutter, I decided to cut a dog bone with centre hole measurements of 170mm (from 182mm, which I am lead to believe is standard?)

Today I installed the shorter dog bones and my as soon as I jumped on the bike all I thought was "Wow what a massive difference!"

Bike was so much nicer to ride. The tires on my bike have done a right handed track day (ie need replacing) but could notice the difference straight away.

Am just interested to see what other peoples experience is with this. Am keen to maybe try a 160mm centre dog bone.

Also was thinking about cutting some more out for anyone else who was keen to experiment with this.

Tell of your thoughts - Pros/Cons etc.

Cheers Pete

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Re: Dog Bones

Post by Kayla » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Poida wrote:Am keen to maybe try a 160mm centre dog bone.
Hi Pete,

If you look at the shape the linkage makes when you fit shorter dogbones, you'll see that the dogbones start to pull the shock towards the rear wheel, rather than acting on it through its length. This makes the shock feel harsh because you need a greater force to compress the spring. I wouldn't go any shorter than 172mm (YZF750 length), and even then you're compromising the action of the linkage. It's 'better' to use a longer shock than shorter dogbones but I would agree that it does make a world of difference to a standard TRX :D

I've sent you a PM ;)

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Welcome to the forum 8)
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

Poida
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Poida » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:36 am

Sounds the equivalent of chopping springs in a car!
Will have to go back to the drawing board then, see what else I can make up. Thanks! :wink:

Poida
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Poida » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks for having me :)