What should i do with my shock

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: What should i do with my shock

Post by Corners R Us » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Kayla wrote:
Corners R Us wrote:Gonna replace mine like for like but then I'm only 11 stone dripping wet and find the stock suspension adequate for my needs. £295 for adjustable preload and damping - basic setup.

Corners
Or £70 for an R6 shock (mine cost £80 and was zero miles old) that's fully adjustable for high and low speed compression damping, rebound and preload, plus £35 for an adapter ;)
And spend months trying to set it up!! I've found that the bikes I've had with multiple adjustment suspension have frustrated me to death to the point of setting everything to stock and leaving it alone! Best bike I had was a R-reg Hairnet. Preload only front and rear, nothing to play with, just rode it!!!

Mind you £115 for an R6 adjustable shock is tempting...thanks Kayla!!! I must read your thread.....

Corners

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Kayla,

You've got me thinking/researching now damn you!!

Cross post from your business posting:

Yep :D Bolt the adapter on to the shock, then bolt the whole shebang in as you would a standard shock. You may have to trim the standard mudguard a little so if you're a standard nut that might put you off ;) Although my bike has the battery box in the standard place, I don't have a full, standard black plastic mudguard/shock guard fitted (all the electrics are under the seat). I've test fitted the R6 shock and adapter with the standard TRX arm and my Thunderace arm and there are no chassis (ie important stuff that can't be moved or trimmed) fouling problems at all.

I presume you need to trim the OE undertray with the silly shock flap a little to allow the body with the adjusters to sit in place i.e clearance backwards from the shock. I presume the R6 shock fits a standard bike with electrics in the stock place? Theres a regulator finned thingy bolted to the underside of my battery tray - clearance issues in waiting? Or not? Pointers appreciated. More research, R6 shocks into the eGay watch list!

Corners

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Corners R Us wrote:Kayla,

You've got me thinking/researching now damn you!!

Cross post from your business posting:

Yep :D Bolt the adapter on to the shock, then bolt the whole shebang in as you would a standard shock. You may have to trim the standard mudguard a little so if you're a standard nut that might put you off ;) Although my bike has the battery box in the standard place, I don't have a full, standard black plastic mudguard/shock guard fitted (all the electrics are under the seat). I've test fitted the R6 shock and adapter with the standard TRX arm and my Thunderace arm and there are no chassis (ie important stuff that can't be moved or trimmed) fouling problems at all.

I presume you need to trim the OE undertray with the silly shock flap a little to allow the body with the adjusters to sit in place i.e clearance backwards from the shock. I presume the R6 shock fits a standard bike with electrics in the stock place? Theres a regulator finned thingy bolted to the underside of my battery tray - clearance issues in waiting? Or not? Pointers appreciated. More research, R6 shocks into the eGay watch list!

Corners
Well, my bike's got the battery tray in the standard place but no reg/rec there (everything's under the seat hump now)- I'll get a pic, hang on...

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Does this help?

The battery box is bolted on using the standard mounts.

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:00 pm

Kayla wrote:Does this help?

The battery box is bolted on using the standard mounts.
Yep as I imagined, thanks for the pics. I think there is just enough space without trimming anything and theres enough room up to the reg/rec mounted on the bottom of the battery box by the look of it. I'll be in touch for an adaptor once I've sourced a shock.

Once I've done this it'll be time to get the Ohlins springs that came wiht the bike fitted to my OE forks to balance things up!! Got a mate fitting an R1 front end to his TRX who I'm avoiding as it'll probably lead me down that route!! Modding...does it ever end!

Anyone else on the forum done this mod to a stock bike?

Thanks again, Kayla. Corners

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Folks, Kayla already knows but I can CONFIRM categorically that there are no fouling problems with the R6 shock, I`ve recently taken one off my TRX as I`ll be fitting an Ohlins remote resevoir shock when the rear end gets rebuilt.
My regulator/rectifier is in the `stock` position albeit remounted with stainless fasteners, the under guard soft flap is also retained and there are no comings together of anything that shouldn`t. :wink:
The R6 conversion with Kayla`s alloy extension/fitting is a good one, there`s no problems at all.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 am

Mincehead wrote:Folks, Kayla already knows but I can CONFIRM categorically that there are no fouling problems with the R6 shock, I`ve recently taken one off my TRX as I`ll be fitting an Ohlins remote resevoir shock when the rear end gets rebuilt.
My regulator/rectifier is in the `stock` position albeit remounted with stainless fasteners, the under guard soft flap is also retained and there are no comings together of anything that shouldn`t. :wink:
The R6 conversion with Kayla`s alloy extension/fitting is a good one, there`s no problems at all.
Thanks :D It's good to know that it definitely fits on a standard bike with all the undergubbins. I tend to buy stuff and make it fit by cutting and moving other stuff :lol:

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Mincehead wrote:Folks, Kayla already knows but I can CONFIRM categorically that there are no fouling problems with the R6 shock, I`ve recently taken one off my TRX as I`ll be fitting an Ohlins remote resevoir shock when the rear end gets rebuilt.
Mincehead,

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I'd be interested in your R6 shock and adaptor if its for sale. PM me details i.e. shock mileage/condition (picture if available?) and a price if you've not sold it already!!Or e-mail me at cornersrus@blueyonder.co.uk if thats easier.

Cheers, Corners.

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Kayla,

You have PM...for one of your R6 adaptors.

Cheers, Corners

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi again Kayla!

That shock on your TRX. Is that a later model 13S R6 rear shock (2008 - 2010)? I presume its the same deal as a 2CO (2006 - 2008) shock? The only difference I can see is the high/low speed adjuster body and a slightly longer mount at the bottom. Are they both 340mm long? Or is it best to just go for the 2CO shock? I ask cos I found this lurking on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-R6-13S-200 ... 23083b16c4

...and it looks just like yours!!

Cheer, Corners

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Corners R Us wrote:Hi again Kayla!

That shock on your TRX. Is that a later model 13S R6 rear shock (2008 - 2010)? I presume its the same deal as a 2CO (2006 - 2008) shock? The only difference I can see is the high/low speed adjuster body and a slightly longer mount at the bottom. Are they both 340mm long? Or is it best to just go for the 2CO shock? I ask cos I found this lurking on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-R6-13S-200 ... 23083b16c4

...and it looks just like yours!!

Cheer, Corners
All the shocks (2006-now) are the same length (290mm) so they all need the same adapter to fit them to the TRX. Any shock from a 2006-on R6 will work :) I can't see the listing for my shock because I bought it too long ago so can't tell you which model it's off, but it does look like a later 2008 one.

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Kayla,

Thanks for confirming. Obviously it makes sense to buy the newest shock I can find. I love forums and knowledgable individuals for modding info!! Off to eBay we go....I will have this shock fitted for my Pyrenees hoon!

Corners

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Sorted.

Adaptor ordered from Kayla of this here parish and just bought this from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Not bad for a 2010 shock absorber. The difference will probably shock me - no pun intended!!!

Off to PB forum to get base setting for a 2010 R6 shock and I can then go from there to find the ideal setting for my TRX and 11-stone me.

The £160 I've saved in going this route can be invested in sorting the front end. I have a set of Ohlins springs that came with the bike so it's high time I got them fitted.

Pictures to follow of my R6 suspended TRX.

Happy days. Corners

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:06 am

Here's a listing for R1 and R6 shocks from the US. Great prices and the quoted shipping is pretty good too.

http://motorcycleparts2u.com/all-yamaha/rear-shocks/

They have a ridiculous amount of stuff for sale with feck all if no km's on them.
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:22 am

Corners R Us wrote:The £160 I've saved in going this route can be invested in sorting the front end.
Thundercat forks :D