bucket shims

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

bucket shims

Post by Quan-Time » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am

On your cylinder head, you have some buckets which cover the shim buttons and valve springs. Theres 2 types. On the inside of one, it has a GREEN dot, the other has a RED dot. Red is for exhaust side, green is for inlet side.
Green measures 22.49mm and red measures at 22.50mm. Easy to confuse if your not looking..

Also please note that the "average" human hair (head) is 0.1mm thick, so they differ by 1/10th of a human hair. Not a lot, but i can 100% assure you, it DOES make a difference. More on that soon. Ill post a pic tomorrow when im back in the shed.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Re: bucket shims

Post by HansJ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:08 am

Isn't that a coincidence? I thought each bucket was individually fitted, adjusted to correct tolerance? What i mean is, that it could differ between inlets or exhaust also? In any case, always be sure to put them back where they came from...
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 am

yup, that is always the best method.. same valves, springs, shims, etc.. back to the same place it came from.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Actually, the average pubic hair is 0.10mm.................0.04 - 0.07 on the head depending if you're a blond or a ginger :roll:
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Just reading that ... please tell me you're not going to post pics of hair QT!!! (esp not your pubes ... we have nudity rules here you know!) :twisted: :twisted:
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:48 am

no pubes here.. I expect my women to shave and be tidy.. So its reasonable that im the same.

*snigger*

AS for hair thickness.. When you "average" hair.. Chinese have stupidly THICK hair, as do many japanese. Euro's have quite thin hair. Being aussie, my hair is black and quite thick, some measure 0.12mm. Your average beard hair and your wee-wee or fu-fu hair is around that, upwards of 0.16 in some people. Mainly people from arab nations.

Saying all this, polar bear hair is actually CLEAR, and is hollow like a drinking straw !! go figure.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:11 pm

:shock: thats disgusting how dare you I hope you dont get CWOOSERFIDED In MY AREA its PURELY for rock n roll road crew only :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Quan-Time wrote:no pubes here.. I expect my women to shave and be tidy.. So its reasonable that im the same.

*snigger*

AS for hair thickness.. When you "average" hair.. Chinese have stupidly THICK hair, as do many japanese. Euro's have quite thin hair. Being aussie, my hair is black and quite thick, some measure 0.12mm. Your average beard hair and your wee-wee or fu-fu hair is around that, upwards of 0.16 in some people. Mainly people from arab nations.

Saying all this, polar bear hair is actually CLEAR, and is hollow like a drinking straw !! go figure.
I do a lesson on micrometer readings with students and use the hair thickness as a base for understanding piston/bore clearances - if anyone produces a curly one 0.16mm I'll be letting them touch it!
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white