Oilpressure light - from German forum

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

punica78
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Oilpressure light - from German forum

Post by punica78 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:07 pm

@Eisi: I've been trying to connect the blue and black wires from the oil switch to the indicator board but I can't get it right.

Did I understand it correctly when I connect the blue wire directly from the oil switch with the lamp and then the black one with the brown wire from the tachometer?

Is this correct and if so how did you connect the black wire from the lamp with the brown one?

5 May 2006: Zolder
2 September 2006: Folembray

"Fortitudo. Disciplina. Constantia. Patientia. Contemptus Mortis. Amor Gloriae. Amor Victoriae!"

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:13 pm

punica78 wrote:@Eisi: I've been trying to connect the blue and black wires from the oil switch to the indicator board but I can't get it right.

Did I understand it correctly when I connect the blue wire directly from the oil switch with the lamp and then the black one with the brown wire from the tachometer?

Is this correct and if so how did you connect the black wire from the lamp with the brown one?
Guess it´s just a closing contact so + into switch and then to lamps + and other to ground!?

punica78
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by punica78 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Killerwhale wrote:
punica78 wrote:@Eisi: I've been trying to connect the blue and black wires from the oil switch to the indicator board but I can't get it right.

Guess it´s just a closing contact so + into switch and then to lamps + and other to ground!?
I've tried that als well: connect the blue wire with the lamp and with the black one I connect it to the frame to get some mass. But then the lamp doesn't get any current to light up...

"Fortitudo. Disciplina. Constantia. Patientia. Contemptus Mortis. Amor Gloriae. Amor Victoriae!"

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I think the switch might make an earth, so positive feed from the ignition direct to one siide of the bulb, the other wire (earth) to the pressure switch. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

punica78
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by punica78 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm

I've picked up a photo from the beginning of this topic:

As you can see on the right the light bulb has two wires a blue one and in this case a brown one. I have connected the blue one with the oil switch and the brown one with the brown wires (each separately off course) on the back of my dashboard. But when I do this, I get no current to light the bulb. Only when I make a direct connection with the plus of my battery I got a current.

So how do I get a current running through the oil switch so it can shut off the light when pressure is present?

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Mincehead wrote:I think the switch might make an earth, so positive feed from the ignition direct to one siide of the bulb, the other wire (earth) to the pressure switch. :wink:
According to pics i guess you´re quite right there!

punica78
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by punica78 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Killerwhale wrote:
Mincehead wrote:I think the switch might make an earth, so positive feed from the ignition direct to one siide of the bulb, the other wire (earth) to the pressure switch. :wink:
According to pics i guess you´re quite right there!
Let see if I got it: from the light bulb I connect the brown wire with the brown wire from the tachometer on the back of my dashboard. This give the current I need when I turn on the ignition. The blue wire is directly connect to the oil switch. The light bulb is just a extra user of current between the ignition and the oil switch. Do I got it right?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:51 pm

All you need is a LIVE( + ) feed to one side of the bulb, if the brown wire supplies current/feed/volts ( however you want to call it) when the ignition is on, that`ll do nicely.
The switch simply makes an earth for the bulb at a specified pressure, it`s called an earth return `technically`.Most pressure and temperature switches work that way.
So, if you want to utilise the blue wire for the earth down to the switch that`s fine.Me personally I would use either a black or brown piece of wire, they tend to be `universally` earths in most electrical systems. :wink:
NO current flows to the oil pressure switch it simply `waits` at one side of the bulb for the pressure switch to make an earth to light the bulbs filament.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

punica78
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by punica78 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:16 pm

@Mincehead and KW: thanks for tips! I'm getting a positive feed from the brown wire and when I connect the black wire to the frame the light bulb lights up but... when I'm connecting it to the oil switch it doesn't light up. So how can I check if the oil switch is still in good condition? I've tried measuring it with the ohm-function of my multimeter but I get no reading.

sadmansteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sadmansteve » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:29 pm

You can use the HEL radial master cylinder adapter for the oil switch but you will also need to order an additional double length banjo bolt M10 x 1.25 as the one supplied in the kit is M10 x 1.0.

1 x Radial Master Cylinder Adapter Kit (CFA-01) = £8.69
http://helperformance.com/news/blog1.ph ... -available

1 x M10x1.25 Double-length banjo bolt (H161-32C) = £1.74
http://helperformance.com/store/advance ... e4&x=0&y=0

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:03 am

Useful,thanks for that.

what oil pressure switch are you using, also do you know the size of lamp / lamp holder that goes in the instrument binacle?

Would be good to have a working oil pressure light WTF Yamaha didn't fit one is beyond comprehension

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 pm

For a part number for that bulb holder see the downloads section, part lists. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:28 am

sadmansteve wrote:You can use the HEL radial master cylinder adapter for the oil switch but you will also need to order an additional double length banjo bolt M10 x 1.25 as the one supplied in the kit is M10 x 1.0.

1 x Radial Master Cylinder Adapter Kit (CFA-01) = £8.69
http://helperformance.com/news/blog1.ph ... -available

1 x M10x1.25 Double-length banjo bolt (H161-32C) = £1.74
http://helperformance.com/store/advance ... e4&x=0&y=0
So instead of buying the kit, all you really need is the HEL adaptor, banjo bolt and oil pressure switch.... :wink: :wink:

Rod
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am

Yep. I only bought the oil pressure switch, oil line `adaptor` etc as mine is streetfightered so I`ll fit my own style of idiot light as I don`t have the TRX clocks and idiot lights etc.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Apologies if I am being a "div", but do you have a part No and supplier for the pressure switch?