cold starting fcrs tips

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

cold starting fcrs tips

Post by billy budge » Mon May 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Hello all

Finally got the trx started after a vist from the legend that is youngy, turns out the electric mods i had done by a supposed professional are a pile of shit. The CDI wasnt earthed correctly ( as KW suggested) but there was a whole host of other nasties like being able to make it crank with the igniton off!!!! :shock: Anyway im gonna start again with a standard loom off ebay so i know where i am, we couldnt suss out what went where and there were wires and plugs missing from the loom all over the place.
Glyn....Will get your CDI posted back tomorrow, thankyou again for the very kind gesture.

Anyhow it fired up and run lovely considering it hasnt run in about 14 months but i was after what methods of cold starting youre trx's fitted with fcrs please, the method in the keihin manual dosent seem a big enough kick up the arse to get it going but i dont want to flood it either.
Also once i got it idling ok it sounded like the slides were flapping about, is this because they need setting up on the dyno, which is planned eventually, or is this the norm or something else for that matter???

Cheers.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

dillthedog
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: cold starting fcrs tips

Post by dillthedog » Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 pm

i just do 3 blips of the throttle and fire it up that works for me

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Mon May 04, 2009 7:05 pm

first off the slides will always flap about , its part of there charm ,, and as for starting i give it a few turns on the remote tick over thingy a few shots of throttle and its away,, once its warmed up i back off the remote tick over thingy and its runs sweet :D
TRX850 ,The thinking mans R1

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Yep,a few twists to operate the accelerator pump should work ok,or even a couple while the starter is pressed,you`ll soon get used to what it `needs`. :wink:
That noise coming from the slides is more `normal` for flatslides,they flutter in the carb body as they must have clearance to work effectively.
Did you have the carb tops off,If you did you may have noticed the slides have rollers?
An engine can suck flatslide slides hard against the carb body,you really don`t want them becoming stuck when earolling the bike around the twisties now do you?
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 pm

steve speed wrote:first off the slides will always flap about , its part of there charm ,, and as for starting i give it a few turns on the remote tick over thingy a few shots of throttle and its away,, once its warmed up i back off the remote tick over thingy and its runs sweet :D
Thanks all for the tips, think the battery may have been a little off top form from alot of cranking yesterday too so stuck it on charge. Good to know you can give it a few twists before cranking it, the book quotes just 1 turn so was abit worried i would flood it. Its the first time ive run it with the fcrs on so like you say i will hopefully soon learn what works and what dont.
Also glad to hear that the flapping is normal, never had a look in the tops mincehead but sounds clever to me...only had the bottoms off to change the jets/needle clip settings. Someone with the same exhaust and carbs had his setup on a dyno and ive done the same settings as he had for a almost perfect dyno run, hopefully this will save alot of tweaking when i get on the dyno.

Steve is the remote tick over thingy the same as the idle adjuster or have i missed summat?? Ta.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon May 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Yes,the flexible shaft that`s sheathed in black PVC and turns the idle screw on the right hand carb(if sat on the bike).

Hahahahahaha,(the flexible shaft that`s sheathed in black PVC)just realised how rude that sounds. :shock: :lol: :wink:

You might find this useful billy budge:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbkei.html
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Mon May 04, 2009 7:53 pm

DIRTY BOY!!!!! :lol:

But i know what you mean, cheers mate.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon May 04, 2009 11:07 pm

:D Move to warm and sunny Queensland Australia 8) ... :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

haggisbash
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by haggisbash » Tue May 05, 2009 9:33 am

Can be problematic getting my TRX to fire up when it is very cold < 8 deg C- (it has FCR's). Most often a couple of twists of the throttle to dump some fuel in via the accelerator pumps will do it, parking it in the sun for a while if there is any when its a cold day helps :) I am considering making a small hole in the air filter sock that can be plugged with a bung so that I can give it a squirt of "easystart" to get it going when its really cold. This will save cranking the life out of the battery and starter motor. I remember a friend who had this setup on a four cylinder bike that he used infrequently and it worked like a charm :)
Another trick that works quite well if you are stuck with a half flat battery in cold weather is to put the battery into a container of hot water - not filled over the top of the battery! "Soak" the battery for a while then try it again straight away - fools the battery into thinking its summer time again :D

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Tue May 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Easystart hammers the big end bearings :?
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Ah yes,be VERY careful with the `knocking fluid`.
It does indeed give engines a hard time for a few seconds until it burns off,diesels especially suffer because diesel oil is not only a combustible fuel it`s a lubricant too.Although on checking Holts/Honeywells site on the latest variant:

http://www.holtsauto.com/products/group ... easy-start

It seems that it`s now formulated with an upper cylinder lubricant.Never the less,if you really have to resort to it,the least amount possible is adviseable. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

haggisbash
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by haggisbash » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 am

Ahh well, plan B then - warm up the inlet tracts with the hairdrier :D
Hmm, then again maybe I should just put a heater in the water jacket somewhere and keep the whole plot warm, used to put a heater in the oil of my roundcase Ducati in the "old days" it carried 5 litres of straight 50 weight oil which took a quite bit of warming up when you first started it.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 am

Gee you can buy a flight to warm sunny Queensland cheaper than an oil change now and you don't need a passport. Anyways you must be one of the last kiwi's left over there..So dont forget to turn off the lite if you come over... :lol: :lol: =D> :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu May 07, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey Haggisbash,search the WWW for mains powered coolant system heaters.Over in the colonies on the other side of the Atlantic they are commonly fitted to cars,I`m certain there will be small variants you could make to fit/work.
Just a quick search turned up this system from Earls: :wink:

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/accessorie ... aters.html
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

haggisbash
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by haggisbash » Thu May 07, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks Mincehead, this type of thing looks promising, obviously the car one is way too big at 2.7kW, I'm thinking something about a quarter that rating would do. Will do a search.