Mates Bike

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Mates Bike

Post by kenmore » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:06 pm

Some of you may remember the posts that I did under Cam Timing , and my mates bike.

I have split the crankcases and removed the crankshaft only to find it in a rather sorry state because of a lack of oil and the big ends being spun and disintegrating.

What a mess. I only hope that our local engine rebuilder can salvage the crank , and find some suitable bearings to match the regrind that is required.

Any tips on this subject would be much appreiated.

Also I have measued the bores and the right hand one is ovaled on the thrust side which will now require a rebore.

In other words my friends engine requires some serious work.

I will get quotes on the parts and machining required , and if it is exhorbitant I will look into a second hand engine .( Does any one here in Australia know where I can buy one if required, and what a fair price to pay would be? )

My mate would prefer to have his engine done up so that he knows that he will get at least another 60,000KLMS out of it without too much hassle .

If any one on here has reconditioned an engine with the same problems could you please let me know how much it cost ?

Thanks guys :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
function=form

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Mates Bike

Post by kenmore » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:29 am

Good, news, I've found a machinist who can regrind the crank.

He measured the conrod journals and told me that he will have to adapt some bearings from a car engine and today he rang me to tell me that the jobs done.

The cost is $310- and I will pick up the crank this thursday.

Now it's time to measure the bores and work out what oversize to go to.

Whilst I know that there are other posts on the forum that deal with this I thought that it may be of interest to other owners on here how I deal with my mates problem and what it costs here in Oz.

Will keep you posted on further developements as they arise.

PS Second hand engines here in OZ are like rocking horse shit at the moment, it would appear that they don't exist.
function=form

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:32 am

Bad news on the parts front here in OZ.

I will have to wait until the middle of January for the oversize pistons and rings to arrive from Japan.

Yamaha OZ do not have them in stock.

Also no head gaskets as well.

After this experience I think that I will order some gaskets etc for my Trixie so that I have them in case of future reqirements.

I don't fancy the thought of having to wait for parts and have Trixie of the road because of lack of parts supply.

Is it hard to get parts in other parts of the world?
function=form

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:57 am

I've found it useful to be able to go into the parts department with the Yam part numbers and just hand over the bit of paper and say 'order these please'. It saves the Parts Monkey from having to think about a bike that isn't an inline 4 and isn't in current production. I've only ever had to wait over a week for really random stuff like a new cylinder head for my TZR250 or stuff I've needed for a Japan-only bike.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

TonyDevil
Site Sponsor

Post by TonyDevil » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:24 pm

i havent found any parts yet for XTZ/TDM/TRX that aint in stock in UK
between Fowlers/Wemoto/M&P and my very friendly local parts shop the stuff i need is normally no longer than a couple of days away
the longest i've had to wait was 5days for a OEM TDM850 mk1 front sprocket
only yammie UK had it in their stores and my local parts place couriered it for me to speed up delivery time =D>
TRX850 1997 - sunny day twisty toy
TDM900 2003 - commuting tool
TDM850 mk1 - scratching & touring
Z750 hardtail - project
gone but not forgotten : - XTZ750, GS500, GS125

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:24 pm

what oversize pistons did you end up using, what crank bearings did you use, and what else had to be done ? Know how much was taken off the crank ?
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Sorry for the late reply, been on hols.

Got all the parts required now and have installed the crank. The machinist tells me that he actually modified some Suzuki motorcycle bearings and ground the journals 40 thou.

Sacrelidge I know but much better than the other alternatives.

Used Yamaha 2nd oversize pistons and rings with a suitable rebore, and also had the head serviced by the same machinist at a cost of $385-

All up the machine shop has charged me $695- for the crank work, rebore, and head work.

On top of this approx $1500 for new pistons, rings,gaskets,bearings, and seals etc.

Have reasembled the bottom half of the engine, fitted the pistons etc and am now ready to install the barrel and top end.

The worst part about this job so far has been to clean up all the crud inside the cases and oil ways.

When reassembled I think I will give it a quick run and then change the oil and filter again, as I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some material lurking around inside even though I spent a lot of time cleaning it up.

Some one may be able to help me as I want to repaint the engine covers and was wondering what the colour is called, or if there is a close alternative.

The manuals that I have downloaded from the members section have been a big help to me, and also my local dealer has been kind enough to loan me some special tools when required .

All of the above could have been avoided by simply keeping an eye on the oil level.

I was pedantic about checking my oil level before and after seeing what happened to my mates bike I check mine after every ride.

Will let you guys know when its up and running. :) :) :)
function=form

rocket60
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by rocket60 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 am

I painted a couple of my cases with high temp silver with high temp clear over the top.The result is very hard to detect from the original but don't do it in the cold.I did mine in winter and even with the heater going it took several goes to get it right.The paint is available from auto paint suppliers in spray cans.I couldn't find a match for the insert on the clutch cover.
Vegetarian; ancient tribal slang for village idiot who can't hunt , fish or ride

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Simoniz Sperex Engine Enamel Silver is a good match for the original silver engine casing. Avalable in 500ml Spray cans from most decent motor factors.

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks for the replies.

I will investigate and let you know how it goes.

I fitted the barrel and cylinder head last night with the help of a mate,and all seems to be ok at this stage. :D :D :D :D :D
function=form

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:03 am

Yeah, Jobs done and motor fired up first go.

Have just been for a short ride and all seems well.

Carbies need to be ballanced, and I will go over everything to make sure that all is well.

I have enjoyed rebuilding my mates engine and have gained some valuable insight into what makes TRX's tick.

The total spent on the rebuild is close to $2500- including all parts, machining,blasting,oils and paint for the engine cases.

I have lost track of how many hours have been spent in my garage.

When the bike fired up I was very happy, and my mate is over the moon to be able to ride his bike again after some minor adjustments.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
function=form

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 am

glad to hear everything went ok.. Now its time to post a bunch of pics of the rebuild..
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

JL
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by JL » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:49 am

^^^^ Wot he said...

Ps - well done, great to know it went well :)

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 pm

Only took a few with my mobile phone.

Will ask my son to help me post them on here.

I took the mates bike for a 70klm ride,and was impressed by the gearing.

He has a 16 tooth front sprocket as opposed to my 17.

Makes the gear ratios a lot better for the type of riding that I do, and the acceleration is much better.

Only downside that I see is the extra revs (approx 500 more at 130kph)

This will be a priority modification when my chain and sprockets wear out. :D :D :D

Sorry for the off topic.
function=form

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am

Since I rebuilt my mates bike he has done approx 5000Klms.

This included a ride to the world famous Phillip Island in February to watch the Superbikes.

My mate was astounded at the attention that his Trx gained.He was also very happy with the way his bike performed.

For some strange reason I suffered a bout of nostalgia after I sorted my mates bike and sold my beloved TRX to buy an FZR1000 Foxeye which I have subsequently done up.

I like the Foxeye,although I miss my TRX.

So the Foxeye has to go to make way for another TRX that I intend to modify extensivly,and do all the things to that I couldn't bear to do to my original TRX as it was absolutely mint,and I thought it would be sacriligious to change such an original bike.

I sold mine to a young guy who does not appreciate it,and has wrecked it.I am hoping to buy it back and modify it now that it is not the pristine original example that it was.

I will have plenty of time to do this when I secure another TRX as I have lost my license due to to many speeding fines.

The Foxeye goes well,maybe a little to well.

I have to be a good boy for 12months and by that time I hope to have a fully fettled TRX again.

The good news is that I realise that the TRX is the right bike for me.The bad news is that you will have to put up with me on your forum again.

Cheers from Oz for now,will keep you up to date on my journey back to TRXdom.
function=form