The TRX Oil Change

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: The TRX Oil Change

Post by Homer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 am

Can anyone give me the dimensions for the collar in the oil filter housing???

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:03 am

You mean the locating collar that has the o-ring around it?
Sorry, mine`s in the housing but the Yamaha part number is: 90387-106W6
Gleaned from the pdf here :wink: :

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2543
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:29 am

That's the one. Ordered one from the local Yamaha dealer but won't be in for a couple of days. Thought I'd have a go at making one. Is it just a collar to help the O ring stay in place, or does it have another purpose?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 am

Locator collar and o-ring retainer, yep you got it.
A piece of alloy or stainless tube would do it fine, doesn`t need to be anything special. Even a piece of plastic tubing would work. The temperature of the oil / casings would not be hot enough to melt it, best some kind of metal though. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Wally
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wally » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 am

twinlovin wrote:It's easy once you know how :wink:

1. Get all the parts you need.
Oil filter, O rings (1 large 1 small), washer for the sump bolt and washer for the oil tank bolt.(I only needed to change the filter today but will need to replace all next time round)

2. Put the bike on a paddock stand. Warm the bike up for 5 - 10 mins. Remove the oil tank bolt (pictured) and allow oil to drain. (I got about 3 litres of oil drain from the oil tank)

3. Remove the oil sump bolt (pictured) and allow to drain.

4. Undo the oil filter cover and remove. Be careful when letting this go not to move away to quickly and drop the filter or small O ring and spacer in the drained oil, like I always manage to do #-o :oops: )

5. Whilst waiting for the remaining old oil to drip out soak your new filter in the new oil. This is supposed to help avoid oil starvation when you fire her up afterwards.

6. Put the the new filter in, refit the small spacer and O ring and then refit all the bolts.

The next point is just what I have found works best for me.

7. Fill with three litres of oil and start up the bike for 10 or 15 seconds. Turn off and add the remaining oil. I have found that I just make a big mess if I try and fill all the oil in one go.

There you go, easy as. Add your tips, or comment on my glaring mistakes below :D

I did my first oil change on my new TRX I removed sump plug & oil filter but did not remove the oil tank bolt does this mean I did not drain all the oil out & have now over filled it with the required manual amount of oil,,, there is also no level line showing in the site glass its all black so im thinking to much oil????

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:10 am

i'm guessing yes.
if the sight glass is black, there is a good chance your old oil is mixed with the new.
new oil isn't black.
err on the safe side and drain the bike completely (strain it through some muslin to catch any bits) then refill using the procedure described.
good luck this time eh !! :) :)
cheers
fung
8)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

driver 500
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by driver 500 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:56 pm

hi guys does anyone know the part number for the oil pump drain bolt gasket i have all the other ones i require ie o-rings the gasket for the sump drain plug etc etc. i looked up the diagram on the parts list but could not figure out from it which was the gasket
cheers

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Eh, oil pump drain bolt gasket? Do you intend to take the oil pump cover off?
The oil `pumps` (there are two of them) are behind the casing on the crankcases on the right of the motor. It could be loosely described as slightly like a figure eight in appearance. :wink:
You only need to take off the oil filter housing and the sump plug on the left side of the motor to do a complete oil change.
Of course if you intend to clean the oil strainer that is a much bigger job requiring the exhaust to be taken off and will indeed require a new gasket too.

The oil pump cover gasket (if you need it) is:

3VD-15458-00

But, if doing a normal oil change the part`s and numbers you need are:

Oil filter housing large O ring: 93210-64297

Oil filter housing small O ring: 93210-12790

And the sump plug crush washer: 214-11198-01
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

driver 500
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by driver 500 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:59 pm

cheers for that. in the manual and pics above it states that you should take out 2 drain plugs one for the sump and one for the oil tank drain at back of engine on right hand side. it was the gasket for that one. i take it you don't find this necessary when doing an oil change?

sorry when i said gasket it was as the terminology in parts list i used a bit misleading ?? as you stated it was a crush washer which is an accurate description. so to simplify it was the crush washer for the other drain bolt at right hand side

ps im going to use rock oil 10w 40 semi synthetic guardian oil and hiflo filter sound ok ?

thanks for your help

driver 500

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Ahaaa, well in that case NO, ordinarily there is no need to drain the oil tank, the oil tank drains down via the oil pipe that goes from the back of it to the oil filter housing (the oil feed pipe actually).
If you really want to take that drain plug out and wash the oil tank through with say parrafin, feel free but remember you`ll need to get as much of that parrafin back out before you refill with clean oil or you`ll compromise the viscosity of the new oil. :wink:
ANY good specification semi-synth 10 w 40 will do for the TRX unless the motor is highly tuned, some advocate the use of fully synth but believe me it`ll not do anymore in protecting the stock motor than a semi-synth.
change it every 3000 miles and you`ll not go far wrong.
I personally use Halfords own brand 10 w 40 semi-synth and source my filters in bulk as all three of my bikes use the same type.
Get your filters at Halfords too, they`re Champion brand that come with new O rings as well. :wink:

Edit:

I have just looked at the picture again and see where your confusion is coming from. the bolt on image 2 is actually going through the oil filter housing, it allows the oil tank to drain down BEFORE you remove the oil filter housing, nothing more.
You`ll note that directly above it the two bolt flange on the oil feed pipe could also be undone to drain the oil from the tank but the two cap screws are not as easy to get to. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

driver 500
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by driver 500 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 pm

thanks again for your reply didnt realise i could get the filters from halfords (on line or in store) ? i take it you mean they come with both of the o-rings you require for the filter housing ?
the crimp washer i take it wouldnt have to be yamaha any m14 crimp washer would do ?

at this rate you would be quicker coming and changing it for me :D

cheers

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes the Champion filters (in store) come with the two O rings for the housing and YES again, any soft copper or alloy, even a Dowty seal in 14mm will be fine for the sump plug.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_246903

That`s the one you want, generic Yamaha filter fits LOADS of Yamaha models across the years.
A Dowty seal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bonded-Dowty- ... 826424bdeb

There is rarely a need to go direct to Yamaha for TRX service parts. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

driver 500
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by driver 500 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:43 pm

perfect checked on halfords on line and they have the filter in stock next stop halfords and oil change

thanks once again

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 am

Soft alloy sump plug crush washers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M14-X-20-X-1- ... 3f04ae0f30
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Wally
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wally » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 am