Post by phuk72 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:47 pm

yeah - wot they said ^^^^^

madivi
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: The TRX Oil Change

Post by madivi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 am

Yep, did so.
Thank you for looking after my Trixie :wink:
(My profile is still as stock as my Trixie is, this might change)

BBB
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by BBB » Fri May 22, 2009 9:01 pm

changed my oil filter a month or so back (fitted a champion one) and it was a struggle to fit. Must have been too long :( .

Where is the best place to get a correct sized one?

Thanks
bbb

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri May 22, 2009 9:16 pm

BBB wrote:changed my oil filter a month or so back (fitted a champion one) and it was a struggle to fit. Must have been too long :( .

Thanks
bbb
I bought 3 filters on ebay really cheap, it was one original yamaha and 2 hi-flo.
One thing to think of is to get it up in level and then really see to it that you tourque the bolts really even....criss cross...

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:58 am

BBB wrote:changed my oil filter a month or so back (fitted a champion one) and it was a struggle to fit. Must have been too long :( .

Thanks
bbb
.........or upside down............. :?
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:52 am

Thanks
bbb
Hiflo ones from e-bay have always worked. If anyone else is concerned, simply buy a few from your Yamaha dealer. The price difference isn't that bad if it allays fear.

Also for the benefit of neophytes, (i) don't lose the brass insert in the oil filter housing cover into your drain pan and wonder why it's leaking (been there etc.) (ii) your aftermarket filter won't come with the small o-ring that goes with the brass fitting, so you might want to get one from Yam every 3 or 4 oil changes, (iii) when refitting the cover, insert all the bolts by hand and tighten finger-tight by hand, then tighten the rest of the way with a t-handle or L-type allen key. A bit of locktite will avoid any chance of them coming out. IMO, you shouldn't use a torque wrench unless you have a very good small-value wrench with a good allen head socket - those bolts are very easy to over-torque. Don't ask me how I know (I was young and mechanically ignorant, m'lud).
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:08 am

I agree,torqueing up small(M6)hex or cap heads on the oil filter housing is completely unnecessary,there`s O rings for sealing and as long as they are in good condition(still supple and not compressed out of form)bolt tightness really isn`t an issue.
As idl1975 says,a little thread lock(the type you can disassemble)or even a little wipe of silicon on the thread(works in a similar way)will be all you need to be sure of them remaining secure.
I also agree that to tighten by hand/fingers,evenly to start with is very important as you`ll find there is around 3 to 5 mm to compress the filter sealing washer by even when it`s installed correctly.The spigot on the filter fits into the bottom of the small casing that you will have taken off,the spring loaded `valve` face of the filter with the sealing rubber/foam ring faces the underside of the motor.
Some resistance is correct but you`ll notice it`ll be very easily taken up as you tighten(IN CROSS FASHION)the M6 and the larger drain hex headed bolt(the one with a sealing washer under the head).
I buy my oil filters in bulk as pattern parts and because my MuZ Skorpion uses the same filter as the TRX and many other Yamaha`s including my SR 500 it`s normally cheaper too.I`ve NEVER come across any that didn`t fit through being too long and I`ve tried many different types,including `real` Yamaha types,Champion,Emgo,And those sold by Hein Gerrick which I`m currently using.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 am

never had a problem with champion filters from halfords £3.50 :D
TRX850 ,The thinking mans R1

andre
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by andre » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Also make sure the rubber seal from old filter is'nt stuck up inside, as it did once for me. That made the filter seem to long, but was just a case of 2 seals together, which would make up about the extra 3mm that you had.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks for that Guys,

Just a couple more questions, I think the filter will only go one way, but just to check, which way up does it go, there is a spring loaded steel button on the filter does that go to the top or bottom?

Also how much oil should come out of the oil gallery bolt? I loosened mine and only a dribble come out, is this right - getting paranoid

Regards

Simon

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:54 pm

See my last post on this thread SDN,the filter valve face goes up towards the bottom of the motor the spigot then faces down into the filter housing.
As long as you get a `flow` of oil from the block oil gallery screw you`re fine. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

pwmotorsports
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pwmotorsports » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm

I dont recall ever seeing a spacer in mine ever in any oil change since ive had it maybe the prior owner lost it ? where do i get one ?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Yamaha or make one up on a lathe, 10 minute job for anyone who can operate a lathe. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

pwmotorsports
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pwmotorsports » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:25 pm

If i had a lathe or access i would guess ill have to yamaha it does it have a specfic name or just oil filter spacer ?

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:05 am

The part number is: 90387-106W6, & you'll need the O-ring too, prt #93210-12790.

Grab your self a copy of the service & parts manual in the downloads section, you won't regret it!