Front forks (YZF-SP) race tech kit or professional re-valve?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Front forks (YZF-SP) race tech kit or professional re-valve?

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:00 am

What to do.... I fancy getting my forks re-valved (Maxton / K-Tech) or just rebuilding using race tech gold valve stuff.

Anyone had any experience either way? What's the best VFM?
NEVER EAT ANYTHING BIGGER THAN YOUR HEAD

youngy

Post by youngy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:27 pm

My experience of K-Tech is very poor.

If they were going anywhere I'd take them to Kais. Andy White is the guru there. I've had excellent service from them.

Having said that, your input to the suspension bulider is the most important factor where suspension mods are concerned.

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:46 pm

OK. That's a good start. How much do Kais charge and what sort of turnaround? Anyone else recommend them? Are they better / worse than Maxton?

What about racetech kit instead?

youngy

Post by youngy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:06 pm

Kais can be quick.............one shock of mine was revalved/resprung/serviced and back with me in 3 days. The last one, however, took a month - it needed parts that they didn't have on the shelf and it was a busy time for them. But it was a lovely job.

Price-wise, I'd suggest you give Andy a call. He's amenable, friendly and helpful. Bastard asked me if I was 9' tall when I told him my weight......

Never dealt with Maxton but heard many horror stories of huge long waiting times for stuff to come back and also forks being bolloxed by them and their insistence on using spring bump stops instead of hydraulic. Which is why I've never dealt with Maxton.

Racetech..........you get their take on suspension. Not neccessarily the best. You could also talk to Reactive Suspension. They are a Traxxion dealer and have some other views on boingy bits.

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:13 pm

i have had maxton forks but they seem to over spring ie a bit stiff , but the damping is a lot better than std ,kais can fit ohlins internals to most forks ,and they are very good ive got some in my R1 forks now,but remember what you do to the front you should do to the back,, for my money,, KAIS............. :lol: :lol:
TRX850 ,The thinking mans R1

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:35 pm

youngy wrote:My experience of K-Tech is very poor.

We are two! They charged me springs wich didn´t exist....and where a biatch to get hold of so i got my refund! Avoid!

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks guys. I'll get a qoute from Kais then. Anyone got any thoughts/experience on the Racetech option? Or any other ideas?

Cheers,

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:50 pm

MH Racing. Mark Hammond is supposed to be pretty good and he's nearer your neck of the woods.

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:39 am

honkdawillydahonk wrote:Thanks guys. I'll get a qoute from Kais then. Anyone got any thoughts/experience on the Racetech option? Or any other ideas?

Cheers,
For what it's worth, I have Racetech valves in my standard forks. Made a tremendous difference, but it's an emulator kit, I guss You won't need that with your forks? Only draw-back is that it's awkward to change settings, have to change oil viscosity when I want to change rebpound... Don't know how it works with their other stuff though.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:46 am

Adam

Don't go direct to Kais until you speak to Rob @ RJS Superbike (01455 845611). They are now at Mallory Park and have an excellent reputation. All he uses is Kais and Ohlins - reckons the rest are shite.

youngy

Post by youngy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm

Now that is good to know.