Lost the washer from the water pump into the engine.

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

reginald
TRX-Enthusiast

Lost the washer from the water pump into the engine.

Post by reginald » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 am

Seeking help/guidance/assistance. Just some background. I'm a 71 year old from Melbourne Australia. Have been riding, racing and track riding now for 50 years. Sold my track bike last year (Suzuki SV650s...what a sweet bike) at the age of 70 thinking I've had enough. I'm too tired! Well, we had the Corona virus happen and with time on my hands I bought a Yamaha TRX850 off the internet. It's a Japanese import, but it's spent the last 15 years by the ocean. So lots of rust and corrosion happening. I've completely stripped the bike. Blasted and painted the frame, replaced all the wheel/steering/suspension bearings. Had to replace the fork sliders as they were corroded and bent..had two different forks so obviously a crash somewhere. So, anyway after 5 months lock-down here in Melbourne (currently we're not allowed out for more than 1 hour and no travel greater than 5 kilometres) the engine is the last piece of the puzzle. I've got the oil tank off, sanded, cleaned, painted and now corrosion free. The same with the clutch and alternator covers. Noticed a very slight liquid trail amongst the grime of 25 years originating from the water pump. Took it off and....there was no washer on the spline and...it wasn't stuck to the plastic drive gear inside the casing. So, was there no washer or, in my casual, cavalier, ham-fisted mechanical stupidity did it stick to the cog wheel and then slide off as I turned my back to place the pump on the workbench. I've read the articles here about the need to take great care and I thought I had, but! So now. Ive ordered a flexible 500mm x 5mm flexible magnet and am thinking about ordering a flexible endoscope thing that you connect to your camera. The problem is there is only an 8mm gap between the internal cog and the casing to get the camera between. So to my question. I've never had a dry sump motor to work on before In fact apart from my 1976 Ducati 750ss (40 years ago) I've never had to strip an engine before. Does anyone know whether I can access the internals through either the sump or the clutch?? Please god I don't want to have to split the cases. This bike has cost me enough already. It had an interstate roadworthy yet the front discs were undersize so replacing those together with the fork and shock rebuild has cost me dearly. Any and all suggestions gratefully received. Thank you. Reggie

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Lost the washer from the water pump into the engine.

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 am

Easy fit.
Just remove the bottom sump to access it.
Common mistake and I fell foul to that one too... :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

reginald
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by reginald » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:54 am

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've been worrying myself sick over this. So thank you again for raising my spirits.
Reg

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:41 am

If aren't keen on pulling the bottom off you could try fishing for it.
Get another steel washer about the same size, tied to a string or fishing line, drop it down the case and then try fishing it out with a magnet.
If you get the one on the string you should also get the one you dropped.
Don't ask how I know this trick.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

reginald
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by reginald » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:32 am

Thank you dicky. Your "friend" was obviously lucky to get both washers out. My luck would see both washers in the works. But I will give it a try. Cheers. Reg