Another trackday thread

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

Another trackday thread

Post by danno » Thu May 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi all, yes I've seen several posts about trackday set ups. And yes I've been using the search function. but I still have several unanswered questions that I hope you guys with some expertise and experience can shed some light on.
For example;
1) What grade oil should I use?
2) Best tyre choice? (I'm thinking Bridgestone S21)
3) Which tyre size? FR120/60 or 70/17 & RE160/60/17
4) Should I drop forks through headstock by 20-30mm?
5) Are wishbones from YZF750 useful for increasing rear?
6) Gearing for better top speed? 17t/41t sprockets
7) Any useful suspension set up advice (stiffer springs)?
8) Spark plugs standard or something better?
9) Brakes are standard at the moment (will swap blue spot one day), what's best pads and fluid?

So far I've got a full Akrapovic system and I've removed the mirrors. If any of you guys have been in the same boat and noted something worked better or realised there was no point in spending on something please could you advise, bearing in mind I'm not looking to transform the bike with braced swingarms or R1 front forks just yet, magnesium wheels etc. Just simple things for simple me if possible. Thanks all.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Another trackday thread

Post by Tarwetijger » Fri May 29, 2020 8:31 am

1) oil is specified in the manual, taking temperature in account. I use slightly thicker oil, 15W50 or 10W60
2) Very personal choice but I would take S22 instead of S21.
3) tyre size front 120/70 of course, dont be tempted to go wider than 160 at the rear
4) originally it is already a lot trough the yokes, do you mean that, or..?
5) wishbones YZF750 - yep, very common
6) Gearing for better top speed - depends on the type of tracks you are riding! But rear slightly bigger than standard is what I prefer too.
7) Any useful suspension set up advice (stiffer springs)? - if you don't have better fork springs already, you better get them as soon as possible. The rear shock is not that bad if it is in good condition. Due to the age of the bike you should get it serviced if this hasn't been done before.
8 ) Spark plugs - I prefer iridiums but also read somewhere it is all bullsh*t, so, yeah, what you want.
9) Brakes - bluespots are very common as you know, pads also very personal but choose something that will keep working on trackdays. fluid, i don't believe this is a critical item as long it is fresh.

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by danno » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

Awesome, thanks Tarwetijger

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by danno » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

My manual for oil says 10w40. I was told to get a more suitable grade of oil if running the bike at trackdays. I've also read that some people say there is no point in going for the very best oil as it will be changed regularly and so that can be expensive.

As for the tyres I'd didn't realise the s22 was available in the size, so I'll check them out for sure. Yes I'll be keeping 60 on rear and plan to go with 70 on the front.

For some reason the forks are flush at the top of the yoke so I'll get that put back to its standard setting and go from there and make changes if necessary.

Wishbones, cheers for confirming. I'll get searching for those asap.

I did one trackday on an airfield once many years ago and all the time along the straights I was left for dust. I think if I can learn how to remove sprockets and adjust the chain accordingly then that should give me the flexibility of various tracks from shorter tighter circuits to fast long circuits.

Front shock needs a service so I'll find out where to get stiffer springs from.

Rear shocks feels ok, with little sag, good rebound and not too soft just looks a bit grubby so I'll clean that up. Maybe if there is a suspension setup place available at a trackday I'll ask them to get it dialled in for me.

Brakes have braided lines but calipers are standard. I'll investigate what pads are good for tracks, and change the DOT4 fluid. But hope to upgrade to blue spots as soon as I can afford them.

Thanks again Tarwetijger!

Feel free to add any other mods or advice as I know newbies like me love to ask dumb questions only for people to say "use the search button!" Which actually doesn't always hit the nail on the head. Cheers all

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Sun May 31, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi danno!

Seems you are preparing your first steps (rounds) on the track?

If so, my advice is:
If you have a well serviced bike just leave it as it is for the first one or two (preferably guided) beginner's events.

Then, from own experience and the one or other experienced story here or elsewhere you can start to modify.
Fork springs would be my first hint (linear, adapted to your weight).

Then, depending on your riding style (and velocity / lean angle) the choice of a suitable tire.
I started using Michelin Pilot Power, which worked very well for me about three years.
When I became quicker, I choose slicks (Pirelli Diablo Rosso Superbike at the mo).

And my biggest advice: Don't overdo things at the beginning - neither on the track nor with modifying the bike.

Simply have fun and get used to riding on the track 'til you can really enjoy it, then take one step after the other.

Humble advising greeting from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

danno
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by danno » Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi HolerTogni,

Yes you correct. I am quickly finding out that the price of various modifications are very expensive and also exactly as you said, I am a complete beginner/novice on track so it's crazy to spend so much money before I've even been around a track. Plus it should help me understand the bike in standard form first then change something in future if needed.

I'll get my bike serviced and ready by doing the following work for my first year of riding;

-Fresh Engine oil (10w40 or something better?)
-New Oil filter (K&N/HyperFlo/something better than standard filter)
-Fork suspension service only (using 15w not 10w)
-Fresh Dot 4 brake fluid
-New EBC HH sintered brake pads (unless there are other choices)
-New chain and sprockets 17/41 (not sure on best brand yet)
-Tyres I'm ordering a 120/"70"/17 for front and 160/60/17 for the rear and my choice of flavour...Metz M7RR
-Spark plugs standard (what's the benefit of iridium?)
-New coolant I guess (???)

I think that is it? After more experience I'll upgrade to R1/R6 calipers and fit Linear front springs according to my weight and riding.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sun May 31, 2020 2:38 pm

If it's not made in China, it's a fake!