Track day setup

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trev850
TRX-Enthusiast

Track day setup

Post by Trev850 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:30 am

Hi
I'm looking at taking my TRX for it first track day is there anything in particular you would change, adjust, replace, or upgrade before you take it out?

It has over full exhaust system and yammy blue spot front calipers other wise standard. It will be my first track day to so not gonna be breaking lap records.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Track day setup

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:16 am

Change adjust replace upgrade....
If it's your first trackday I'd look at it in this respect...

CHANGE suspension settings and tyre pressures...,
Look at setting up the correct sag as usually you'll add a little more preload because you don't have the same dynamics as riding on the road. Tyre pressures.... Contact your tyre manufacturer / dealer and they should provide you with information on pressures to run for your tyre make and model.
If not there is usually someone at a tyre changing facility at the trackday who can advise you on this too.

ADJUST riding style ....
Ride on the balls of your feet and kiss the mirrors...
Foot position and placing body weight correctly make things a lot easier. You don't want to be fighting the bike ...

REPLACE... Underwear if you push the boundaries too far... :lol: :lol: learn from the mistake, grab the bull by the horns and tame the beast again.. Don't let it beat you...

UPGRADE... Enjoy the learning experience and if you choose, you can expand and upgrade as you see fit...

You normally get 5 or 6 sessions so use the morning sessions to focus on learning the lines and picking the apex's . Look at body position and keeping your arms relaxed. Just like riding a horse, just give it it's own head , you don't want to fight the bars to get it to do what you want..
Depending on how well the suspension set up is you usually have a couple of riding style options... Heavy braking into the corner nose down late apex and point and shoot on the throttle again but if suspension is too soft, you'll run wide on the exit...
I prefer to brake a little earlier, settle the bike and carry a little more corner speed and slowly roll on the throttle as you continue through and out the exit of the corner.

If your TRX has no special suspension upgrades to suit your weight and riding style , I would air on the second option. Have a little faith in your tyres as most tyres have more than ample grip levels and feedback when pressures are set correctly..
Enjoy the day and try a few options to get the feel of the dynamics of the suspension and bike....
Look at your gearing too, 16/41 will still get you 220+ down the straight and close to redline...
Remember peak torque on the TRX is 6000rpm and peak HP is at 7500 so no real need to run too far into the redline... :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 am

New brake fluid, you'll be surprised how hard you brake on the track.
Plenty of rubber.
As much fuel than you can carry.
Tools to adjust suspension while you're there.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Trev850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trev850 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks guys
I was going to a racing brake fluid. Would it be worth going to a track/race brake pad on the front

dicky

Post by dicky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:22 am

I wouldn't change to race pads until you know that you are going to be braking too hard for standard ones.
You probably don't want to have to learn how new pads feel and work when you're busy trying to learn the circuit and have fun.
My reason for changing fluid is to make sure that what braking you have will work at its best.
You can end up boiling old fluid and having the system lock up due to expansion, and trying to ride with the front brakes permanently on is not fun at all. Ask me how I know.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:45 pm

dicky wrote:I wouldn't change to race pads until you know that you are going to be braking too hard for standard ones.
You probably don't want to have to learn how new pads feel and work when you're busy trying to learn the circuit and have fun.
My reason for changing fluid is to make sure that what braking you have will work at its best.
You can end up boiling old fluid and having the system lock up due to expansion, and trying to ride with the front brakes permanently on is not fun at all. Ask me how I know.

You can end up boiling old fluid and having the system lock up due to expansion, and trying to ride with the front brakes permanently on is not fun at all. Ask me how I know

dont be shy -- spill the beans (i got away with it outside lane on A24 - but needed new pants)
first track day - adjust tyre pressures with tyre guy advice -- and stick with what you know - cos you'll find what you thought was fast on the road means jack shit on a track

oh and have fun which is what its about
inspired by san miguel

WooHoo850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by WooHoo850 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Guys
I'm also interested in first track day outing on the TRX.
What's the go with scrutineering so far as:
* lock wiring any parts,
* spill mitigation (should the fun stop all of a sudden)
* glass protection,
*Riding Gear requirements ( I'll Be heading for Lakeside Qld)
Are leather pants and jacket ok? or is it one piece the go
Also aiming for 85% first time out.
Thanks for the Brake fluid tip easy overlooked.

dicky

Post by dicky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:28 am

My biggest tip for first time track rides...
Don't change anything that affects how your bike handles until you've ridden some laps at speed.
Changing suspension setting, brakes pads, tyre pressures, even riding position, means learning how to ride the bike all over again.
Ride some laps, get comfortable, then see what can be done to go faster.
Coz we all want to go faster, right?
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:21 am

Too true Dicky... =D> =D>
Use the first trackday like an orientation day.
I'll be at Lakeside on the 11th and 18th Feb too.
Contact champion ride days , there phone number is on their online site and they will easily address any questions and concerns.
Don't stress on it too much as long as your bikes in good roadworthy condition , just fold your mirrors in or remove them but call CRD and they will give you the run down on leathers, boots and gloves...
laughter is the best medicine

Trev850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trev850 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks guys for the info