STD carby balancing

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

STD carby balancing

Post by OzzieDave » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:56 am

Not wanting to spend big bucks on a flash carby balancing rig, I looked at Youtube and found a cheap way to do it.
Use only glass bottles not plastic (don't ask how I know this).
I bought $2 glass water bottles from BigW, large chair feet from Clark Rubber, as well as 6mm ID and 3mm ID pvc tubing.
Auto transmission fluid (1 litre, half in each bottle) just the right colour and safer than water. The plenum chambers (40mm pvc) soften the vacuum and slow the fluid movement (would suggest using a fan to cool the engine as it takes awhile to balance the carbys).
I placed markings on the bottles at the 95mm mark, from the bottom of the bottles, then at 5mm intervals to 110mm, to allow easy viewing of the fluid movement.
Connect the larger tubing to the two vacuum hoses, I bought plastic joiners from Repco.
After removing the tank, I connected my testing fuel supply (old lawnmower tank), started the bike and let it warm up, then turned on the pedestal fan, this kept the operating temperature close to normal.

I had to turn the engine off to adjust the balancing screw due to its location. I only turned a quarter of a turn at a time.
The idle speed will need to be adjusted continually.
I managed to get the levels close but not perfect, but it did sound better.

Proudly Aspergian. Yellow 98 TRX850, Staintune mufflers, braided brake hoses, blue spot brakes, remote control ignition switch, Ignitech ECU. 17/42 525 chain.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: STD carby balancing

Post by Snod Blatter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Excellent work Sir! Does it feel any different afterwards?

I know mine are way out since I replaced the emulsion tubes, jets and needles but I can live with it. It's just a little lumpy at low revs or when tricking along.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by OzzieDave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:51 am

I have noticed that there is less vibration at 80kph than before. Idle is a bit lumpy.
Proudly Aspergian. Yellow 98 TRX850, Staintune mufflers, braided brake hoses, blue spot brakes, remote control ignition switch, Ignitech ECU. 17/42 525 chain.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 am

very tidy, I did a similar thing but a simpler version.

Just used a bit of timber and a long length of 6mm clear hose. I compared tested it against a pair of vacuum gauges and found I was able to get a more accurate balance with it.

Paul