Rear lower engine mounting bolt

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Rear lower engine mounting bolt

Post by nr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Is there a trick to getting this out? I've removed the nut, no worries. If I take the other mounting bolts out, and lower the front of the engine, I can see the bolt turn. But I can't get it out. I've hit it with my very biggest special hammer that I reserve for special occasions. No movement at all. I've tried an impact driver on the other end, in case it's threaded into the frame. Nothing.

Am I missing something? The Haynes manual just says "unscrew the nut on the lower rear mounting bolt and withdraw the bolt" in a very nonchalant way.

If there's no trick that I'm missing I'll just get busy with the blowtorch to put some heat into the area to try to break things free. I can only assume that it's been subject to 20yrs of good old British road salt, and corroded firmly into place.

Ta,

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Rear lower engine mounting bolt

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:37 am

Place a jack under the motor to take some of the weight. If it's pivoting on the bolt in the frame section only then at there is more than like a salty/crusty build up that may be holding it in the motor section.
Maybe lay it on it's side and place diesel or CRC to free it up.
Placing the frame bolts back into the head and attach ratchet straps from a roof Joyce is another handy trick when placing the motor in or out.
Just remember the bottom rear is the last out and first bolt in otherwise you'll chase your tail trying to get all the mounts Inplace.
laughter is the best medicine

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:30 am

Cool, thanks. Yup, I have all the other bolts back in there while I try loosening it up, and have also had it up on a block just in case. I've also been given it a good soaking in GT85, ATF, acetone, and anything else I can find in the garage that might work. I guess it's just going to need time, patience, and maybe a bit of heat.

And the big hammer.

Somewhat unbelievably, this is the first seized fastener that I've come across on this project. Which, given that it's not moved since 2009 isn't bad at all. Even the float bowl screws came out with no issues.

Thanks,

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nr » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Well, the engine is out, but the stuck bolt is still stuck. In the end I removed the bolts holding the mounting cradle to the engine, and left that behind. Was all a bit of a pain in the neck really. But at least now I can get to the bracket and bolt a lot easier. I've been pouring heat into it all morning, but still, nothing's shifting. If all else fails, I'll try to pick up another one from a breakers, and cut the old one out. I don't fancy my chances of getting the engine back in the way it came out.

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nr » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:41 am

Well, it came out:

Bit of duct tape, that'll be fine to reuse.