Rearsets for a TRX850 race bike

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Chuck41
TRX-Enthusiast

Rearsets for a TRX850 race bike

Post by Chuck41 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:51 am

Hi All. I have a confession, I've come here asking for advice

Last weekend I was given the privilege of racing a mates' TRX850 in a club event at Wakefield Park near Goulburn NSW. We'd had a great weekend and all was going well when another bike dropped oil at one of the faster corners and I managed to find it. The bike suffered much more damage than I did.

Most parts have been easy to find, but rearsets, not so easy. I've read a number of posts on this site talking about offset adaptor plates for a YZF750, and one where a gent (Japanese, I think) was getting some custom made, but that was from several years back. About the only rearsets I've seen specifically made for a TRX are the Coerce ones, and while I'm sure they're great, they're fairly pricey. The ones that were on the bike when my friend bought it were Yoshimura's, (genuine??) they did the job and looked good.

What rearsets should I be looking for that will bolt on to the TRX? I'm not worried about the shift linkage, we can sort something out for that. But I'd be really surprised if there wasn't another Yamaha (YZR600, YZR750) that uses the same mounting spacing as the TRX. It's possible that other bikes might also be prospective candidates, I've heard that the 06-07 ZX10R has a 70mm space between mounting holes.

Although any and all advice would be appreciated, I'd much prefer to hear from people who've tried something and can say for certain that something does or doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Rearsets for a TRX850 race bike

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Just because it's the same pitch doesn't mean it will give you the same lift up and length back.
YZF 750 use the same pegs std and possibly an early yzf600.
Check webike in Japan as you may find the spares to rebuild the old set.. Pegs and levers are usually available spares on most aftermarket rearsets and more than likely generic on both sides.

I've got a spare set of Coerce rearsets from another bike because of that fact and kept them purely for my personal spares.
Pegs can be used either side as well as levers for brake or gear and generic on all the coerce rearsets.
It's just the mounting plate that is specific to a model of motorcycle they are being fitted to.

I've also got another spare set of coerce rearsets for sale for an R1 with good pegs and levers .
.( mounting plates won't work tho)
If the peg mount holes are the same ( a lot are ) , that will sort the problem as the levers mount from the pegs.
Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
laughter is the best medicine

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Re: Rearsets for a TRX850 race bike

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:07 pm

1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white