Pozidrive fits better than Phillips for JIS screws

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Rubes
Site Sponsor

Pozidrive fits better than Phillips for JIS screws

Post by Rubes » Sat May 14, 2016 8:49 am

My recent carb experience taught me heaps about JIS screws and why Phillips Head screwdrivers are not the right tool to use. Ideally I would have a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers but I don't and those buggers don't grow on trees nor are they cheap. Having been a bit hamfisted on the first carb float screw I had to stop and start using my brain. A few drops of penetrating oil helped but switching to the Pozidrive was the trick. Much better fit and even worked on my first badly cammed out screw.
Learn from the mistakes of others because we don't live long enough to make them all ourself.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Pozidrive fits better than Phillips for JIS screws

Post by Snod Blatter » Sat May 14, 2016 12:26 pm

I use bits in an adapter with a ratchet, JIS bits are usually included in the set and I find the ratchet gives me more control so I can concentrate better on keeping the bit in the screw.

If only Torx would take off properly though [-o<
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Rich
Site Sponsor

Re: Pozidrive fits better than Phillips for JIS screws

Post by Rich » Mon May 30, 2016 7:26 pm

JIS and Posi are parallel faced and not meant to "cam out". UK wise Posi is a good alternative to JIS (Cheaper :D ).

Phillips are meant to cam out ie the faces are angled so that the early automated screwdrivers (1930s) did not break the head off the screw.