Spark Plug Change

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Spark Plug Change

Post by Overlord Neil » Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 am

This post is more for advice then to pass on a pearl of wisdom...

Finally got around to doing a service on my trx, its just shy of 40,000 miles. It gets an oil and filter change every 4,000 any way but she needed a new chain and sprockets, i fitted a scottoiler, clutch cable, new cush drives and spark plugs. What an absolute holiest of holy of a job changing the spark plugs is! Has anyone picked up any crafty hints, or is it just me that spent several hours stripping most of the bike apart to be able to get enough throw on the ratchet to get a single click.

I had the radiator off its mounts and had to unfasten the right hand coil to get enough slack on the HT lead, at one point I did consider dropping the engine out of the frame. It seemed like the frame was deliberately designed so that something was always in the way.

Eventually I swore enough that the old plugs came out, though they were only just finger tight and a new set of Iridium plugs went in. Took it for a spin and it seems to pick up much sharper, previously there was a lag at very low speed/minimal throttle opening.
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

bubbaad
Site Sponsor

Re: Spark Plug Change

Post by bubbaad » Tue May 03, 2016 7:53 am

It's pretty easy to change the plugs using the removal tool that came with the bike (if you have it !) just loosen the rad off and away you go :shock:

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Tue May 03, 2016 8:27 am

'if you have it' ....that could be the problem, thanks for the reply bubbaad
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Wed May 04, 2016 4:22 am

What did you use if you did not have the spark plug spanner that comes with the bike?
I have for some time tried to get a proper 18mm spark plug spanner (one that has the little rubber grip inside)but found them a bit like rocking horse poo.
I have just replaced both plugs and for easy access I drop the fairing, undo the radiator bolts, so that the radiator rests out of the way. then with a universal jointed socket set drive, out and in they go ,probably an hours work all up.

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Wed May 04, 2016 7:29 am

My biggest issue, poor craftsman and all that, is a fledgling man cave so my stocks of tools are limited... for the moment! We've just moved so other things like curtains and plasterers are consuming vital resources that should be spent on air compressors, mig welders and other garage essentials. Maybe I'll hold a telethon... "Just £5 will help this numpty buy the right tools he needs to complete the man cave we all strive for."

Anyway I digress; of the limited tools available I happen to have an 18mm long socket, though sadly not enough extensions to reach through from the headstock, hence trying to get enough throw to get a single click on the ratchet mechanism. Its not a spark plug spanner so doesn't have the rubber sleeve, so i had to use the spark plug cap to 'grab' the plug and pull it out once it was loose. All good fun.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 am

Ah yes the plug cap trick, OR length of fuel hose, works a treat :wink: . Sadly not for the top plug on my old NTV650 `Barkin Donkey`, The plug drops to one side once out of the thread so the cap or tube can`t be used. That said, tube that`s rigid enough, and of the right internal diameter could be used if attached before the plug`s out of the thread, I don`t have any tube that`s suitable though. :roll: I found this out while doing some routine maintenance and the damn rubber insert that SHOULD be firmly fixed in the Honda box spanner, wasn`t! So I`ve just ordered another at 20 ferkin quid!!!!! A normal plug socket and even 1/4" drive is no good, there`s too much of an angle involved and the headstock and frame members are in the way. The Honda box spanner has a 12mm key welded into the top, you then use a ring spanner on it while delicately skinning your knuckles. :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES